+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I expect at the border?

donovanjames

Jun 3, 2019
Oregon
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the info.

My wife and I secured our visas—study permit for me, open work permit for her—and we’re moving in 2 weeks along with my 4 year old who will get a visitor record. We’re driving 2 cars and taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. How long will it take to get us through the border? We’re wondering if we should book ferry tickets or if the border process will make us late. Any advice would be amazing.

Thank you!

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the info.

My wife and I secured our visas—study permit for me, open work permit for her—and we’re moving in 2 weeks along with my 4 year old who will get a visitor record. We’re driving 2 cars and taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. How long will it take to get us through the border? We’re wondering if we should book ferry tickets or if the border process will make us late. Any advice would be amazing.

Thank you!
Hello neighbor , we live in Nanaimo also on Vancouver Island . and for the ferry to Victoria it depend on the day of the week you are traveling . after all, VI gets a lot of tourist during the summer especially weekends starting Friday. if you are Not planning to sail on the weekend there's no need to book a place for it , you will Just waste your money . but if you are coming during the weekend , you would better to book one .

and by clear the border you mean to get the study permit issued , right ? I will say it won't take more than 1 hour .

donovanjames

Jun 3, 2019
Oregon
Hey neighbor We are coming up on a Monday specifically to avoid any traffic or ferry rush. And yeah, just about visas issued and have us through.

Another thing—I didn’t know if we’d need an authorization letter for our daughter because we’ll be in two cars. I ask because if we have the letter it should be notarized I believe.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
they you don't need to book a place for the ferry , don't waste your money .

and no, your daughter doesn't need a parental authorization to travel . cos I believe it's only the one to be issued a study permit will have to go to the Immigration office , the kid can wait with the other parent during the process .

donovanjames

Jun 3, 2019
Oregon
Thanks for the info. Do you know about temporary imports and the RIV? I’m not sure when or if I need to do that for my wife’s 2011 Subaru. I’ve heard agents will insist it does and doesn’t need to be done at the border, or sometimes not at all. My 2003 should be totally exempt.