+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I do while waiting for PR?

Meganfwhite

Sep 26, 2013
Hey Everyone,
I have submitted my common law PR papers and reapplied for my work permit, both of which could take another 6-12mth as informed by my immigration lawyer.
I have always had work and feel for my partner who has to now taken on the financial burden till papers come through.
I'm curious.....Would do people do if can't work while waiting?

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
Just keep yourself busy I suppose....I've been exercising a lot :p Finding a good hobby is a good way to make time pass...

Meganfwhite

Sep 26, 2013
Have been doing that...More interested in the financial side...how do people earn money while waiting or do people really let their partner pick up the bill? 6-12 mths is a long time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Meganfwhite said:
Have been doing that...More interested in the financial side...how do people earn money while waiting or do people really let their partner pick up the bill? 6-12 mths is a long time.
Well - it's illegal to earn money unless you have a work permit.

So if you want a work permit, then your next step would be to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job and also able to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Meganfwhite said:
Hopefully your partner fully understands your desire to chip in and that you are limited by circumstances. The best recommendation I make is to do things to upgrade your skill set so that when you can work, you'll be in better position to get that job you want (study, etc). My wife was studying before her PR came through. Even though she is a PR now, she still is studying since she is a health professional and needs to take some exams to be able to practice in Ontario. I fully understood this and am prepared to support her for this entire duration. This is what marriage/partership is about - supporting each other.

Reactions: ranjitrajkumar

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
scylla said:
Well - it's illegal to earn money unless you have a work permit.

So if you want a work permit, then your next step would be to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job and also able to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion.
You can actually work IF AND ONLY IF your paycheck comes from outside of Canada. So let's say you tutor US teenagers online and an American company sends you paychecks from their office in the US. That is still legal. You CANNOT earn money from any place inside Canada however, even if it is for cash and they don't require a SIN, still illegal.

keesio said:
Hopefully your partner fully understands your desire to chip in and that you are limited by circumstances. The best recommendation I make is to do things to upgrade your skill set so that when you can work, you'll be in better position to get that job you want (study, etc). My wife was studying before her PR came through. Even though she is a PR now, she still is studying since she is a health professional and needs to take some exams to be able to practice in Ontario. I fully understood this and am prepared to support her for this entire duration. This is what marriage/partership is about - supporting each other.
Taking courses is a GREAT way to pass time. You DO NOT need a study permit to take classes in Canada if you take online courses, and the school does not require you to be in Canada to sit an exam. I am starting studies in December via online courses. Will get me a better certification and bump my salary up by 5,000 minimum. You may, however, have to pay international student prices. PM me if you're curious, I can inform you of the University I am going through.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Meganfwhite said:
Hey Everyone,
I have submitted my common law PR papers and reapplied for my work permit, both of which could take another 6-12mth as informed by my immigration lawyer.
I have always had work and feel for my partner who has to now taken on the financial burden till papers come through.
I'm curious.....Would do people do if can't work while waiting?
Maybe try knitting. Something that takes a looooooong time to finish :)

tabarnouche

Aug 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Request
--
Med's Done....
15-08-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-03-2014
sounion said:
You can actually work IF AND ONLY IF your paycheck comes from outside of Canada. So let's say you tutor US teenagers online and an American company sends you paychecks from their office in the US. That is still legal. You CANNOT earn money from any place inside Canada however, even if it is for cash and they don't require a SIN, still illegal.
Truth. I work for an american company and am living in quebec while my PR app is being processed. I was asked at the border if i was employed and told them yes by an american company, they had no issues with that whatsoever.

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
sounion said:

Taking courses is a GREAT way to pass time. You DO NOT need a study permit to take classes in Canada if you take online courses, and the school does not require you to be in Canada to sit an exam. I am starting studies in December via online courses. Will get me a better certification and bump my salary up by 5,000 minimum. You may, however, have to pay international student prices. PM me if you're curious, I can inform you of the University I am going through.
[/quote

Wouldn't taking courses be considered going to school? Which we're not 'supposed' to do? Is it only illegal to go to school without a study permit but you don't need one if you are taking online courses? Thanks!

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
It would be illegal to take courses that you have to physically be present in Canada for. So you can take courses online, and so long as you don't have to be IN Canada to take an exam or anything, you don't need a study permit.

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
sounion said:
It would be illegal to take courses that you have to physically be present in Canada for. So you can take courses online, and so long as you don't have to be IN Canada to take an exam or anything, you don't need a study permit.
That's good to know! Would the same apply if I do online courses for a school in the States?

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi everyone, I know this threads was a long time ago, but I am not waiting for my CoPR, would it be okay for me to get married while waiting? Will getting married affect anything to my application??

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone, I know this threads was a long time ago, but I am not waiting for my CoPR, would it be okay for me to get married while waiting? Will getting married affect anything to my application??

Thank you
How are you applying to become pr?

Probably best to ask in the relevant forum.

But: yes it may affect your application as in most cases the spouse would have to be examined as dependent under your existing application. And if you do not declare your spouse, you could be barred from sponsoring your spouse in future.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
How are you applying to become pr?

Probably best to ask in the relevant forum.

But: yes it may affect your application as in most cases the spouse would have to be examined as dependent under your existing application. And if you do not declare your spouse, you could be barred from sponsoring your spouse in future.

Hi thanks for the reply,

I am applying with CEC. Got the ITA May 28, 2020.

How does it affecting my application? I mean it what way? Is it from the CRS? Or just take longer processing time? (With the assumption of her background check and medical is good)