+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I do? renew my WP or go for PR instead?? Help !!

urban

Aug 14, 2011
Hello everyone!!

My two year work permit is going to expire in March 2012 and I would love to apply for PR as a Canadian experience class. which i will be able to apply as soon as I have my two year worked period of time done. May I send the application before these two years of full time work expired or I have to apply for another WP which means (LMO) again ??? ???
Because if i wait until i have two years worked i have no time left to send the application because i have to leave the country. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Should i switch my status to a visitor and then send the PR application?

I lived in Canada, BC for more than 4 years, first as a visitor and now with my working permit which is going to end soon.

What should i do guys !?!?!?!?! help!! :eek: :eek:

I just want to do it right.

PS: i think this forum is great, i really appreciate the job you guys are doing here!! well done!! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You cannot apply for CEC before you complete the work expeirience requirement. You have to meet the work experience requirement before you apply.

It sounds like you understand your options correctly:

1) Talk to your employer. If they want to keep you, they must apply for a new LMO, then you can extend your work permit.

2) Leave Canada when your work permit expires. This does not affect your eligibility for CEC.

3) Change status to visitor. You would not be able to work. And given the timing when you become eligible for CEC, it is unlikely you would be able to remain in Canada as a visitor the whole time that your application is being processed.

You don't say what province you are in, but you might be eligible now under the PNP program (again, that requires your employer's interest).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

urban

Aug 14, 2011
Hi

Thank you very much for the quick answer!! you're awesome!!

I am living in BC, Vancouver Island.

Got it. ! :) :)

Just another quick question:

Am thinking on take a big trip, traveling as soon as my WP expires, and then send the application for PR as a Canadian Experience Class.

My work permit allows me to stay and work in Canada for two years and then I must leave the country, so if I do everything on time I won't be working for two years, it will only be "one year eleven months and 20 days", (for example)

How do I fill that time up to make sure I have these two full years worked??? I don't have any extra time to finish my two years working and then leave....

Can I apply for a WHV??? from inside the country??

Am 32 years old and I am from Spain, Yurop ;) ;)

thanks again!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you did get a 2 year work permit but for some reason you didn't start working right away? They are pretty strict with the 2 years part of it as well as the 3900 hours part of it but they might let you pass with 1 yr. 11 months and 20 days if you do have the 3900 hours in that time. You do know that you have 90 days after your work permit expires to restore your status or leave so you can work until the last day of your permit. You do not have to take your last days on a work permit as time off to pack.

As for your working holiday, deal with the embassy in Spain. You can find it here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/spain-espagne/youth-jeunesse/index.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=56 Their 2011 program is now closed but if you apply when 2012 opens, you can get a visa to enter in 2012. This might fit well with your plans for a big trip. The processing time to get PR through CEC right now is around 11 months.

urban

Aug 14, 2011
Hi,

I did start right away but in my two year work permit says clearly that I must leave the country the same day it expires, it didn't say anything about these 90 extra days you have mentioned ... that is actually what is confusing me .

Thank you very much guys for all the information, it is awesome!! thanks!!

:)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yeah, on my first work permit I had 90 extra days, but since then they changed the rule so that a work permit cannot be valid for longer than the contract. GO figure, they seem to think you can work your last day in Canada and move out the same day.

CIC is very strict about the 2 year minimum, I think even if you are only short by 10 days, you won't pass...

Your only option is to (a) have your employer get a new LMO and extend your contract (or possibly find a new employer also willing to apply for an LMO), or (b) find out if you qualify through one of the other programs...

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/index.page

urban

Aug 14, 2011
thank you for your quick answer!!

I really appreciate that.

I gotta think what to do.

Thanks again!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Actually, sorry, I didn't fully read Leon's response... the 90 days he's talking about is a kind of "grace period" after your permit expires... within this 90 days, CIC allows you to apply to "restore status." So some say that as long as you leave within 90 days of the permit's expiration, you won't suffer any serious consequences. I don't know about that...

betanorth

Mar 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not an expert, but wouldn't an option in case the employer does not want to help with the LMO be apply to renew the work permit anyway and work while in implied status, until it gets rejected? The processing times in Vegreville are pretty long right now so it might take a while before CIC rejects the WP app.

urban

Aug 14, 2011
Wow, i didn't know there were more answers about it.

Yes, I think what betanorth is saying is right, it's just a hole in the system which we shouldn't use but we can, I guess.

What i didn't know it's about these 3900 hours, even if i work 2.5 years i don't think i have them because i do work full time but most of my days are 7 hours and some early days too.

Do i need those 3900 hours or if i have two full years worked it's enough to apply to CEC??

Where i can see the rule of those 3900 hours at the website?, I can't find it.

Thanks you very much again1

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
urban said:
What i didn't know it's about these 3900 hours, even if i work 2.5 years i don't think i have them because i do work full time but most of my days are 7 hours and some early days too.
You need 2 years of full time work (or part time equivalent) where full time is 37.5 hours is what it says on their website. That is how they get the 3900 hours (37.5*52*2). If you don't have an average of 37.5 hours a week, they will accept the part-time equivalent in which case you could for example apply after 2.5 years if you have at least 30 hrs. a week.

spring001

Aug 8, 2011
Urban,
I calculated my working hours from my pay slips to be sure that I have 3900h within 36 months from the date when my application package is received by the visa office. I excluded paid vacation hours (80h per year) because I am not sure if CIC calculate these hours.
You can do the same and calculate which is the earliest date you can submit your application.