+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I ask to my employer in order to process my Spouse's OWP extension

shansh

Jul 6, 2015
Hi All,

I am currently working under my PGWP and found out that my job falls in NOC A category. My wife came to Canada with OWP while I was a student and now her OWP is going to expire. I know my wife is eligible to get her OWP extension under my present job situation, but I am wondering what should I ask to my employer in order to mention the job category in my employment letter?
In short, what should be mentioned in my employment letter in order to indicate my NOC category and my eligibility to apply for her OWP extension?
Thanks in advance.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
The employer doesn't need to mention your NOC code in the letter. You need to attach proof that the principal worker is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. That is, you need to provide a letter that lists your ditties and responsibility such that they match with the specific NOC code. I would recommend following these instructions for the letter:
  • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
  • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

shansh

Jul 6, 2015
The employer doesn't need to mention your NOC code in the letter. You need to attach proof that the principal worker is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. That is, you need to provide a letter that lists your ditties and responsibility such that they match with the specific NOC code. I would recommend following these instructions for the letter:
  • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
  • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
Good Luck!
Thanks a lot noscaf2014.

My employer (HR) is not willing to mention my job responsibilities (saying it is not their policy), but they agreed to mention all other stuffs. In that case, what should I do.

However, this link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d) says that:

If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:

• a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  • a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips.
I can provide my offer letter and recent play slips.

Last edited:

ggv13

Nov 29, 2019
Good Luck!

Hi,

If the letter does not state the NOC and my spouse has a reference letter with the duties and responsibilities, my questions are:

1. Do we need to give the specific NOC number or just the NOC "0", "A", "B" of her job?
2. Where should we mention the NOC in my application for open work permit extension?

Thank you