+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What questions are references and guarantors asked for new passport applications?

Gigibanat

Star Member
Aug 31, 2018
A friend of mine was a reference. She was called and they asked her about the date and place of birth of her friend's kids...which is something quite difficult. Not sure though

vodaisxi

Oct 17, 2018
I think references do NOT need to be Canadian citizens...only guarantors...correct?

I'm thinking of using an acquaintance (who is Canadian citizen) as a reference...but she might not know specific details about me.

So what questions are asked of references and guarantors? It would be nice to know (particularly recent experience from other forum members), so I can choose references who know me well enough to speak about specific details...

Hello. Just want to verify if references do not need to be Canadian citizens? Thanks!!!

eastguy123

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
Hi guys I applied for express passport at service Canada on oct 8 and just got to know that due to emergency my guarantor would leave Canada on October 10th and my express passport pickup date is October 18. What should I do here? Should I call passport office on Tuesday to let them know that they would not be able to contact him as he is out of country or give them his email address or how would I contact passport? Thanks

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
A friend of mine was a reference. She was called and they asked her about the date and place of birth of her friend's kids...which is something quite difficult. Not sure though
What?!! :eek: Guarantor and references then need a a 3-hour presentation on our lives' history. This is SO SILLY to expect references to know every single detail of us. I barely remember the birthdate of my nephews and nieces. Even if they ask simple questions, this guarantor and references requirement is still VERY SILLY, and an unnecessary hassle. I am providing them with references who live at a 12-hour time difference zone, so one side would be asleep when the other is awake.