+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What paper needed for applying for workpermit at the port of entry??

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Since you're coming in fait accompli, search the CIC website for DMPs close to your area; go to your choice of doctor and explain you're entering Canada as a nanny and would like to undergo the medical checks needed to show at the POE. But wait till you have your approved LMO though. BTW, DMP is designated medical practitioner.

oliviarene said:
How do I go about obtaining a medical?

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
computergeek said:
You need the LMO (or at least the number from it), two pictures, the work permit outside canada (you will have to use the new one that generates a barcode, not the old one you referenced), your job offer letter, evidence you are qualified for the job, your passport and the $150 fee (can be paid by credit card). It generally takes about 20 minutes for them to process it (plus queue time).

Good luck!
Hi!

New to the thread. I didn't want to create a new topic, but just add a few more questions.

I am initially from France, which I think is a visa-exempt country, right?

Anyway. Question is, I have a current online application for a WP extension, a LMO request sent by my manager on Sept 17th and my current work permit expiring November 15th.
Now I am all worked up about the super tight timing here. So let's just go for the best-case-scenario that is the LMO being approved and confirmed, even better-case-scenario: BEFORE the end of my work permit.... Since I don't want to wait till the online application gets processed, am I eligible to just get my new permit at a POE? (((YVR seems to apply for it, can I really just show up there and be directed to the Immigration Office without having gone through customs and landed from another country?)))

If I receive a positive LMO AFTER the expiration date of my work permit with my online application still in the way, do I need to secure my status further more? Can I pull the "flagpoling" too?

Thx for any input on this.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mouette79 said:
I am initially from France, which I think is a visa-exempt country, right?
Yes, France is visa exempt (you can always confirm on the CIC website).

mouette79 said:
Anyway. Question is, I have a current online application for a WP extension, a LMO request sent by my manager on Sept 17th and my current work permit expiring November 15th.
Now I am all worked up about the super tight timing here. So let's just go for the best-case-scenario that is the LMO being approved and confirmed, even better-case-scenario: BEFORE the end of my work permit.... Since I don't want to wait till the online application gets processed, am I eligible to just get my new permit at a POE? (((YVR seems to apply for it, can I really just show up there and be directed to the Immigration Office without having gone through customs and landed from another country?)))
I've always done it at Pacific Crossing or Douglas (when crazy Americans aren't shooting CBSA officers :( ). Not sure about doing it at the airport. Since you aren't from the US, you can tell them you wish to flag pole, they will give you an administrative refusal, stamp the piece of paper and send you back to Canada. I'm American so I couldn't do that - I had to actually get my passport stamped.

You understand you have to stop working if you don't have an application and your work permit expires, right?

mouette79 said:
If I receive a positive LMO AFTER the expiration date of my work permit with my online application still in the way, do I need to secure my status further more? Can I pull the "flagpoling" too?
You can do it at the border. But if you are out of status, you need to leave Canada - you can't do the administrative refusal trick as that doesn't count as leaving Canada (at least not as I understand the manuals). But since you're from France, you could get your I-94W, pay your US$6, take a five minute tour of Blaine and then return to Canada. Just don't forget to turn in your I-94W to the Canadian side (ugh, what a lot of paperwork).

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
computergeek said:
Not sure about doing it at the airport. Since you aren't from the US, you can tell them you wish to flag pole, they will give you an administrative refusal, stamp the piece of paper and send you back to Canada.
Ok got it. Best case scenario then. Get a friend or rent a car and drive down the highway from Vancouver.

computergeek said:
You understand you have to stop working if you don't have an application and your work permit expires, right?
I do. I don't think I am in a situation of "implied status" where I could continue to work and at least continue to make a living while waiting. :-[

computergeek said:
But if you are out of status, you need to leave Canada - you can't do the administrative refusal trick as that doesn't count as leaving Canada (at least not as I understand the manuals). But since you're from France, you could get your I-94W, pay your US$6, take a five minute tour of Blaine and then return to Canada. Just don't forget to turn in your I-94W to the Canadian side (ugh, what a lot of paperwork).
LOL.. I hear you. DO you think I could just have a day of shopping with a friend and renew my status right then and there? Even before my work permit ends?
Does CIC provide the form you are talking about or the immigration office at the border would have it?

I was advised to apply for restoration of status as a visitor to the Vegreville office but that's 200$ more while technically and like you said I can just leave Canada for a day or a weekend and come back, right?

Thx for your input, computergeek!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mouette79 said:
Ok got it. Best case scenario then. Get a friend or rent a car and drive down the highway from Vancouver.

LOL.. I hear you. DO you think I could just have a day of shopping with a friend and renew my status right then and there? Even before my work permit ends?
Does CIC provide the form you are talking about or the immigration office at the border would have it?
Sure. Make a shopping trip to Bellingham. Usually there are more Canadian's shopping in Bellingham than locals.

Check here for the application and what-not for the WP at the border: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

mouette79 said:
I was advised to apply for restoration of status as a visitor to the Vegreville office but that's 200$ more while technically and like you said I can just leave Canada for a day or a weekend and come back, right?

Thx for your input, computergeek!
You don't need to do restoration, since you're not out of status right now. You COULD submit an application to change to visitor status - nothing prevents you from having multiple simultaneous outstanding temporary applications.

Upon further reflection, I think your mistake was actually in applying for your WP renewal too early. So here's my suggestion (for what it's worth):

- Withdraw your current WP application
- The day before your WP expires, submit a new paper application. Include the LMO file number (if you have it), pay the $150 renewal fee. Send it via a courier - one that gets a signature confirmation. Store that signature confirmation along with the complete copy of your submitted application that you sent (so you can prove you have implied status).

Current published time for a renewal is 102 days. So, that gives you almost five months for that LMO to be granted. When the LMO is approved, you can send a copy of the approval to them and ask them to add it to your file. If you gave them the file number with the original application they'll be able to see it anyway. And you remain in status and can keep working.

This buys you the maximum amount of time.

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
computergeek said:
Usually there are more Canadian's shopping in Bellingham than locals.
Omg that's so true though! Haha.

computergeek said:
You don't need to do restoration, since you're not out of status right now. You COULD submit an application to change to visitor status
I will definitely refresh me a new stamp on my passport in the days to come and spend a day in the US. Love me some Trader's Joe cheese. That should be just fine.

computergeek said:
- Withdraw your current WP application
- The day before your WP expires, submit a new paper application. Include the LMO file number (if you have it), pay the $150 renewal fee. Send it via a courier - one that gets a signature confirmation. Store that signature confirmation along with the complete copy of your submitted application that you sent (so you can prove you have implied status).
Current published time for a renewal is 102 days. So, that gives you almost five months for that LMO to be granted. When the LMO is approved, you can send a copy of the approval to them and ask them to add it to your file. If you gave them the file number with the original application they'll be able to see it anyway. And you remain in status and can keep working.

This buys you the maximum amount of time.
That does sound like a plan indeed.
And then whenever I get the LMO I could bypass the mailed application and get my WP at the POE? Unless I buy myself some MORE time and wait patiently for the mailed application to go through?

Again, thx for your input. Greatly appreciated.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mouette79 said:
And then whenever I get the LMO I could bypass the mailed application and get my WP at the POE? Unless I buy myself some MORE time and wait patiently for the mailed application to go through?
If you have a complete WP package, you can certainly do it at the POE (they generally won't process it at the POE if it is more than a month to expiration, but that doesn't apply to your situation). There's no benefit to doing it unless you plan on leaving Canada - note that implied status is extinguished once you leave Canada with an in-process application (there are some exceptions). If you do it this way, you'll get a refund from CIC at some point in the future, since you'll have to pay the WP fee at the POE once again.

Good luck!

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
computergeek said:
If you have a complete WP package, you can certainly do it at the POE (they generally won't process it at the POE if it is more than a month to expiration, but that doesn't apply to your situation). There's no benefit to doing it unless you plan on leaving Canada - note that implied status is extinguished once you leave Canada with an in-process application (there are some exceptions). If you do it this way, you'll get a refund from CIC at some point in the future, since you'll have to pay the WP fee at the POE once again.

Good luck!
Well if the implied status allow me to continue working for my current employer, I don't see why paying another 150$ is a pb.

I do have a couple of worries and questions though and I just wanted to make sure that I am doing things sort of "by the book" and all right:

* the idea of working with an expired SIN number, should I warn or give my manager a copy of the proof of my "implied status"? (the mailed application and the courier signature) So that I do come in and out of payroll as usual?
* Should I still leave Canada with the green waiver to get a stamp prior to the expiry date, or the application and "implied status" should do it for the time being? (do they hand them out at the border to the cars and drivers if applicable? I know I need to have the exact change of 6$ (US or CAN though?) I remember getting a waiver like this at the Terminal railway station before taking a train to Portland. But when driving myself to the border, do I have the option on the spot?)

Thanks a lot. I am currently printing out all of my options. like you said, it never hurts to have as many completed applications out there anyway.
First of all I just want to make sure that the implied status applies to me for sure and that financially I can still manage those options (along with a plan ticket back to France if really necessary in the end).

Flo85

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
Hello,

just of curiosity. I saw this list with immigration offices at borders where I could actually leave Canada and then re-enter to get my work permit. I saw in that list the 'Internation Pearson Airport' as well. I know they have an office since Ive been there but is that also possible to go to this office when I am now a visitor and want to recieve my work permit or do I have to drive to the border in Buffalo?

Flo

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Flo85 said:
Hello,

just of curiosity. I saw this list with immigration offices at borders where I could actually leave Canada and then re-enter to get my work permit. I saw in that list the 'Internation Pearson Airport' as well. I know they have an office since Ive been there but is that also possible to go to this office when I am now a visitor and want to recieve my work permit or do I have to drive to the border in Buffalo?

Flo
You cannot "go to the airport and pretend to be entering Canada". That doesn't work. So you could fly to another country and then fly back.

jmjosse

Apr 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I really hope you guys can help me with this.

My spouse and I are both from Belgium and we need to fly home next week.

My common-law partner has a 3 year post-grad work permit and has a NOC level B job.
My work permit expired jan 15th and have applied for work permit (and restoration of status) thru my spouse's permit.
Also, meanwhile, we applied for PR and received a confirmation of Phase 1 acceptance last month.

Unfortunately, we need to fly home for two wedding next week so I understand that this application will get cancelled.

I've been told that when I fly back to Canada, I will be able to apply for my work permit at Point of Entry.

Can you confirm this? Plus what paperwork will I need to bring along? ( I think I will need my common-law's work permit, her contract with the company, a proof of common-law and my valid EU passport - I also have a letter of my employer stating they will rehire me midst the delivery of a new work permit, but no LMO).

Thank you very much for your help, I hope this made sense.

JM