+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what kind of evidence Do they want for residency?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think armoured has answered your question.
Well, actually to add since it's a bit ambiguous:
-are you (the sponsor) in Canada now? If not - return to Canada.
-as for getting a lawyer - only the sponsor can decide. It might be expensive, and I'm not sure there's much a lawyer can do apart from making a good, well-founded argument and case that the sponsor did not stop being resident in Canada during that (long) absence. That depends on the facts but surely a good lawyer could make as good a case as possible in the circumstances. Still might not work.

Reactions: YVR123

MoE93

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Ottawa
Well, actually to add since it's a bit ambiguous:
-are you (the sponsor) in Canada now? If not - return to Canada.
-as for getting a lawyer - only the sponsor can decide. It might be expensive, and I'm not sure there's much a lawyer can do apart from making a good, well-founded argument and case that the sponsor did not stop being resident in Canada during that (long) absence. That depends on the facts but surely a good lawyer could make as good a case as possible in the circumstances. Still might not work.
I (sponsor) am in canada since two months, I was away for 7 month since the start of the application. I was suppose to go for 1 month, but I was stuck because of COVID, there were flight ban from Pakistan to Canada, so I couldn't fly to Canada and was stuck.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I (sponsor) am in canada since two months, I was away for 7 month since the start of the application. I was suppose to go for 1 month, but I was stuck because of COVID, there were flight ban from Pakistan to Canada, so I couldn't fly to Canada and was stuck.
You can certainly provide that information to IRCC and hope that they will be lenient in the circumstances.

Reactions: MoE93

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Flight ban wasn’t 6 months. Did you file for sponsorship while in Pakistan or were you still living in Canada. That will be a very important point.

They are essentially trying to make sure you were not inside Canada for the whole period because they suspect you weren’t so I would be upfront and confirm you’ve been outside Canada since they likely know when you left and entered already.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
First and foremost, of course you must tell the truth.

In assessing your residency obligation as a sponsor, officers will consider whether the prospective sponsor:
• maintains a residence in Canada;
• has spouse and/or children resident in Canada;
• has assets in Canada;
• pays Canadian income tax on global income;
• maintains investments, bank accounts, health insurance or club memberships in
Canada.
Sponsors may be found ineligible to sponsor if:
• they maintain residences in two countries at the same time;
• they have a house in Canada, but work abroad;
• they have interrupted their residence in Canada or spend little time in Canada.
Foreign stamps or post marks on the envelope, a foreign employer or the
sponsor’s non-Canadian address are indications the sponsor may not be residing
in Canada;
• there is evidence that they will leave Canada soon after the sponsored applicant
becomes a permanent resident. Sponsors must satisfy an officer they will
continue to reside in Canada after the member of the family class becomes a
permanent resident;
• sponsors

Consider assembling a timeline of where you were and why exactly. Dates you travelled abroad and why you remained outside the country for such a long period, along with the appropriate backup. Proof that you have ties in Canada and that you can show you intend to remain in Canada once PR status application for you spouse is accepted.

MoE93

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Ottawa
Flight ban wasn’t 6 months. Did you file for sponsorship while in Pakistan or were you still living in Canada. That will be a very important point.

They are essentially trying to make sure you were not inside Canada for the whole period because they suspect you weren’t so I would be upfront and confirm you’ve been outside Canada since they likely know when you left and entered already.
first of all I know it is not related but I wana say that my first application was returned, this is second time submitting, I went to pakistan to help my wife ( she got covid during pandamic) and to get police certificate, and prepare other documents, she couldn't do it by herself. I prepared my documents in Pakistan and send it to my brother to canada, he send the PR application package to IRCC.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I prepared my documents in Pakistan and send it to my brother to canada, he send the PR application package to IRCC.
Unfortunately one of the things they do appear to be strict about is that applications should only be submitted by PRs physically present in Canada (at the time of submission).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
first of all I know it is not related but I wana say that my first application was returned, this is second time submitting, I went to pakistan to help my wife ( she got covid during pandamic) and to get police certificate, and prepare other documents, she couldn't do it by herself. I prepared my documents in Pakistan and send it to my brother to canada, he send the PR application package to IRCC.
Should correct that I meant to say outside Canada not inside.

You should expect that this application will likely be denied. You were required to apply to sponsor while in Canada and remain in Canada during processing. You could have waited to return to refile. You are essentially been given a chance to prove that you were inside Canada in case there was an error but IRCC believes you weren’t. Nothing you can really do but be upfront about the fact that you sent your application from Pakistan and spent a lot of time outside Canada during the sponsorship. You can provide proof of why you were abroad but rules are pretty clear. The fact that you didn’t send it directly and sent it to your brother to send in indicates that you likely knew you had to be in Canada to submit the application.

MoE93

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Ottawa
Should correct that I meant to say outside Canada not inside.

You should expect that this application will likely be denied. You were required to apply to sponsor while in Canada and remain in Canada during processing. You could have waited to return to refile. You are essentially been given a chance to prove that you were inside Canada in case there was an error but IRCC believes you weren’t. Nothing you can really do but be upfront about the fact that you sent your application from Pakistan and spent a lot of time outside Canada during the sponsorship. You can provide proof of why you were abroad but rules are pretty clear. The fact that you didn’t send it directly and sent it to your brother to send in indicates that you likely knew you had to be in Canada to submit the application.
I understand, So what do u recommend, should I withdraw my application and submit a new one or try to continue and see if they accept it?

MoE93

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Ottawa
IRCC and CBSA can and will share info. I saw this first hand when I crossed the border while my application was in progress. If you're a PR as I assume the original poster is, best to realize that if you leave Canada while sponsorship is in progress IRCC can easily find out and I'm guessing based on this post and others, does check.
so you can't even go for vacation for couple weeks even?