+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the maximum allowed extension for my mom's visitor's visa

yognarendra

Sep 18, 2014
Hello,

I would be very grateful if I could get expert advice on two of my questions below:

My mom has been here on Visitor's visa for 4 months already and we want to apply for extension this month. This is her second visit to Canada.

1) Just wondering if we can ask for an 18 months extension or will that be considered too long?

The first time she visited was when our first son was born in 2015. That time we applied for a 1 year extension and was approved easily. Only a medical exam was required. However due to family obligations she could not stay so long and had to go back to her home country 6 months before the approved extension expired.

2) Can we be honest and state in our application that the reason for extension is that she has been helping us look after our two kids - a 2 yr old and a 9 month old? Or will that be considered working (as a babysitter) which is illegal? Her being with us would allow my wife to go back to work when her Maternity leave is over in a couple months.

Your opinions are very much appreciated and would help me decide how long of an extension to apply for.

Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) 18 months is too long and demonstrates she is attempting to use the visitor visa to live in Canada. She is not allowed to live in Canada. Ask for six months.
2) This will likely be classified as illegal work and a violation of the terms of her visitor visa. Very bad idea to say this in the extension application.

pav

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
my mother has 10 year multiple visa and she is been here for 5 months.Her initial plan was to stay here for 6 months but now I am taking exam in end June so I want to extend her stay for 1 more month.
I want to know do I have to apply for extension as she already have 10 year valid visa?
Or simply I have to extend her ticket? what is the procedure that I should follow?

Thanks
Pavneet

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pav said:
Hi
my mother has 10 year multiple visa and she is been here for 5 months.Her initial plan was to stay here for 6 months but now I am taking exam in end June so I want to extend her stay for 1 more month.
I want to know do I have to apply for extension as she already have 10 year valid visa?
Or simply I have to extend her ticket? what is the procedure that I should follow?

Thanks
Pavneet
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

kaps_lock

Jun 6, 2014
Hello,

I would be very grateful if I could get expert advice on two of my questions below:

My mom has been here on Visitor's visa for 4 months already and we want to apply for extension this month. This is her second visit to Canada.

1) Just wondering if we can ask for an 18 months extension or will that be considered too long?

The first time she visited was when our first son was born in 2015. That time we applied for a 1 year extension and was approved easily. Only a medical exam was required. However due to family obligations she could not stay so long and had to go back to her home country 6 months before the approved extension expired.

2) Can we be honest and state in our application that the reason for extension is that she has been helping us look after our two kids - a 2 yr old and a 9 month old? Or will that be considered working (as a babysitter) which is illegal? Her being with us would allow my wife to go back to work when her Maternity leave is over in a couple months.

Your opinions are very much appreciated and would help me decide how long of an extension to apply for.

Thanks a lot!
Hi Narendra,

Can you please tell me what reason you did put in your application in 2015?

Thanks,

Kaps_Lock