+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the difference between 'occupation' and 'job'

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry if this question has been answered somewhere already, but I can't find the answer!

I am trying to fill in my Schedule 3 Economic Classes form.

Question 11 asks you to list all your occupations in the past 10 years. Do they mean all your jobs, or all your occupations? I have been working as an RN for the past 10 years, but also work as a tutor at a college, so does that mean I list two occupations, or do I list all the different jobs I've had? I have had three different RN jobs in the last 10 years.

Thanks

leo16

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 18,2011
Doc's Request.
sent
Nomination.....
sent
AOR Received.
November 14th,2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
December 22, 2011
Med's Request
January 5th, 2012
Med's Done....
January17,2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
PPR step-1 issued on 6-03-2012, PPR step-2 on May 02,2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 15, 2012.
LANDED..........
24 July, 2012
to show an occupation ...means u also need to prove or have the specific qualification required for that occupation
i dont know what do u mean by an RN wld u plz clarify. u can nd u shd show all of ur work experience u hv acquired so far through ur experience letters nd there is also a section in the form to show ur jobs as it will be in their records nd wld help u to get a job in canada.
plz provide some more information as under wch category u have applied nd wch is ur NOC code. cz to apply under FSW u need atleast one yr experience in tht specific occupation from NOC list.

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leo16 said:
to show an occupation ...means u also need to prove or have the specific qualification required for that occupation
i dont know what do u mean by an RN wld u plz clarify. u can nd u shd show all of ur work experience u hv acquired so far through ur experience letters nd there is also a section in the form to show ur jobs as it will be in their records nd wld help u to get a job in canada.
plz provide some more information as under wch category u have applied nd wch is ur NOC code. cz to apply under FSW u need atleast one yr experience in tht specific occupation from NOC list.
Hi Leo

Thanks for your reply. I am applying under NOC code 3012 which is Registered Nurse. What I mean is that on the Schedule 3 form 'Economic Classes - FSW' question 11 asks you to 'list your occupations within the 10 years preceding the date of your application'. My question is whether they mean occupation, or job. I have had three different jobs with that NOC code in the last 10 years, but only one occupation, as they my jobs are the same NOC code so the same occupation.

Is that clearer?

Thanks

alyssum

May 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-01-2014
Nomination.....
17-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included in app
Med's Request
16-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2014
LANDED..........
24-03-2014
I had the same question when I was filling out that form. I never got a clear answer but ended up just recording combined years of experience in each NOC (i.e one occupation entry on that form could correspond to multiple jobs I held in the field). My app is still in processing so can't say if that is the right thing to do or not either.

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alyssum said:
I had the same question when I was filling out that form. I never got a clear answer but ended up just recording combined years of experience in each NOC (i.e one occupation entry on that form could correspond to multiple jobs I held in the field). My app is still in processing so can't say if that is the right thing to do or not either.
Hi Alyssum
Did you use one box for each NOC and combine different jobs in each one? I think that's what you meant, but not sure! I'm assuming your application got through the first hurdle and has been accepted for processing, so I guess what you did was right!

leo16

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 18,2011
Doc's Request.
sent
Nomination.....
sent
AOR Received.
November 14th,2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
December 22, 2011
Med's Request
January 5th, 2012
Med's Done....
January17,2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
PPR step-1 issued on 6-03-2012, PPR step-2 on May 02,2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 15, 2012.
LANDED..........
24 July, 2012
arite gizmo i had to go through the form again to answer ur question...as they have clearly mentioned thr tht list only those occupation tht falls in NOC with the skill type accordingly...so in this section u wld only fill the occupation tht match the NOC...also make sure if u hv atleast one yr full time experience in it....there is another form u must hv seen nd filling by now is schedule A background declaration form...thr in question 8, u must hv seen personal history section whr u hv to mention ur activities of last ten years after age 18...thr u wld include ur jobs other then ur NOC as well.
ur other jobs will not influence ur points but they ll for sure help u to get a job in canada..so dont miss them.
I hope u r clear now.
good luck...:)

alyssum

May 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-01-2014
Nomination.....
17-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included in app
Med's Request
16-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2014
LANDED..........
24-03-2014
gizmo59 said:
Hi Alyssum
Did you use one box for each NOC and combine different jobs in each one? I think that's what you meant, but not sure! I'm assuming your application got through the first hurdle and has been accepted for processing, so I guess what you did was right!
Yep. For instance, you said you have three RN jobs. I would have put 3152 on the form once and in the "main duties" section I would have summarized the duties of those three different jobs as if they were one. I did wonder a bit about this because sometimes the job duties are not exactly the same at one company compared to another, but generally they should be similar if the jobs are indeed the same NOC. In years of experience I would have summed up total years in those three jobs, but made sure to exclude any time in between jobs when I was unemployed or working in another NOC.

Although I have made it through the first check, I don't think that means much. To get the PER, I don't think they look at the details very closely. I assume they just check that you put > 1 year on a professional NOC category. Only after the VO starts processing will they actually look at the supporting docs in detail and verify that what you put on the form matches with reality.

mni

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-Jun-2013
Got this by googling...

A job is work for which you receive pay. A job is temporary.

An occupation is a wide category of jobs with similar characteristics. Occupation is a broad concept generally denotes employment sector or the category of jobs in which you fit. For instance, the "heart surgeon" might be your job, but your occupation is something broader such as "doctor"

Regards,
mni

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks mni

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure I filled the form in properly. When I first looked at it I thought they wanted me to list my jobs, but then I realised it said 'occupations'.

I will do it according to occupation. Fingers crossed!

mni

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-Jun-2013
I would suggest that you to fill the forms based on the jobs that you have done in reverse chronological order as you have to prove that you have worked in those jobs by providing relevant document from your employers.

Please take opinion of others as well.

Regards,
mni

gizmo59 said:
Thanks mni

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure I filled the form in properly. When I first looked at it I thought they wanted me to list my jobs, but then I realised it said 'occupations'.

I will do it according to occupation. Fingers crossed!

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mni said:
I would suggest that you to fill the forms based on the jobs that you have done in reverse chronological order as you have to prove that you have worked in those jobs by providing relevant document from your employers.

Please take opinion of others as well.

Regards,
mni
Yes, for the Background info form I will list my jobs in reverse chronological order, and on the Economic Classes form I will list my occupations. I think that's right?!

leo16

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 18,2011