+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the custody of my son after I immigrate to Canada?

Kathy2016

Oct 20, 2016
In China, my ex-husband shares the custody of my son(8 years old) with me. When my husband and I applied for immigration, he signed the IMM5406 form.
When my son first land Canada, does my ex husband need to sign any other document?
And after my son land Canada, do I have the full custody of him in Canada? or still share the custody with my ex-husband?

Thank you so much!

Kathy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say that nothing happens automatically to that effect. If you have to sign some paperwork on behalf of your son that requires signatures of both parents and you do not have anything in your hand that says you have full custody of him, I guess you will end up having to send the documents to his father and have him sign too.

You could try for your convenience to get a statement from the father stating that he gives you full rights to sign anything on his behalf in Canada based on that it is not convenient for you to have to send documents back and forth and you would find out if such a statement is then accepted or not.

Another remedy would be to talk to a lawyer in Canada and find out if you can file for full custody in Canada.