+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the current job scenario for highly skilled engineers like IIT/Top NIT from India in Canada?

Nidhib1106

Feb 3, 2019
2 scenarios should be considered :

1. A chemical/mechanical engineer from the top 5 IITs in India wishing to do an engineering job in industry

2. An academic having done B.Tech. from IIT and PhD from a tier 1 USA University (Something like UCLA, U of Michigan, UIUC but not MIT or Stanford) wishing to join as an asst. prof at a good Canadian University.

I have heard bad stories about Canadian job givers only caring about whether you have Candian credentials or not and not at all caring about how good non-Canadian credentials are. Someone told me an IITian worked as security watchman and some other top engineering college student was driving taxi.

P.S. For those unaware about IITs they are the most highly regarded engineering universities in India, called by some as the MIT of India. IITians are very highly regarded and get great jobs in India. IIT is also well known in the USA (but obviously not as well known as it is in India)

canadabells

Dec 24, 2018
You could be overqualified of your intelligence. Being from IIT/NIT/IIM does not matter, its all similar here. One of my very close friend who is staying in Toronto with 20 years of experience and IIM Ahmedabad Alumni is not able to find jobs easily and his current pay just not match to his talent (he gets around 124K) or otherwise he would have got in India/US/UK/Singapore or alike countries, which can afford to pay well.

But Yes, in general, I have noticed that since folks from such colleges are anyways talented and intelligent, they can make space for themselves in job market, but receiving higher salaries is just not possible easily.

Reactions: Nidhib1106

canadabells

Dec 24, 2018
No point or benefit in moving to Canada then with that salary.
Well, I would still not recommend to move or not, it depends on priorities in life..Canadian life or Money.
You being from IIT so I assume you to be super intelligent , you can acquire skills easily if needed and thus garner jobs easier. You would outshine among the available candidates. So all in all, Security guard, taxi driver etc should not apply for you.

You would be successful, not because of you being from IIT , but due to your caliber , by being among top 1% of engineering students from India.

The stories you hear who are low in skills and mediocre talent. further more I have seen Medical degree holders sometimes have to go through this, this is particularly because of degree recognition, govt. policy issues (till the time its resolved/addressed) and less due to do with "job market" issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nidhib1106

Nidhib1106

Feb 3, 2019
You could be overqualified of your intelligence. Being from IIT/NIT/IIM does not matter, its all similar here. One of my very close friend who is staying in Toronto with 20 years of experience and IIM Ahmedabad Alumni is not able to find jobs easily and his current pay just not match to his talent (he gets around 124K) or otherwise he would have got in India/US/UK/Singapore or alike countries, which can afford to pay well.

But Yes, in general, I have noticed that since folks from such colleges are anyways talented and intelligent, they can make space for themselves in job market, but receiving higher salaries is just not possible easily.
So is he satisfied? Or does he regret his move?

Also I heard it is much easier for top students in India from IIT/IIM to be recognised and get opportunities in USA as USA most top universities and colleges are aware of IIT/IIM?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
So is he satisfied? Or does he regret his move?

Also I heard it is much easier for top students in India from IIT/IIM to be recognised and get opportunities in USA as USA most top universities and colleges are aware of IIT/IIM?
If you are born in India, getting US PR (Green Card) is pretty much impossible unless you are ready to spend 5 years getting a PhD with excellent reasearch publications etc. Even then it will take 3 or 4 years after the PhD.