+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the correct time to search for IT jobs in Canada.

shakti123

Apr 25, 2014
For people having valid PR, what is the best time to land in Canada for IT jobs?

I have couple of options visit in May or July. Just want to know what is the best time to start IT job hunt in Canada.

Seniors suggestions are welcome...

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
shakti123 said:
So junior suggestions are not?...

Not nice...

justinline

May 19, 2009
Summer is prime landing time, because every one wants to avoid snow (....like that's a possibility in ::) Canada).

From time you start sending resume, initial interview to on site interview, it takes good month or two. I would say get a Canadian street address, a Canadian phone number. Start applying with local address and number. When you have few interviews lined up, take a trip for week or two.

Other than that there is no good time .....in a bad economy.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shakti123 said:
For people having valid PR, what is the best time to land in Canada for IT jobs?

I have couple of options visit in May or July. Just want to know what is the best time to start IT job hunt in Canada.

April is a good time, because most of the snow melts and right after 9:00am because thats the time office opens and traffic is less

susmithaburra1989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Singapore
Category........
NOC Code......
2173/ 2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-May-2015
Doc's Request.
ITA 27-March-2015
Nomination.....
Express Entry FSW
AOR Received.
13-May-2015
IELTS Request
N/A Ielts exam taken on March 2014
File Transfer...
Additional docs request 19-May-2015 (scheduleA)
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
18-Apr-2015
LANDED..........
19 January 2016
hey i am also planning to since my Pr is last stages.
i am thinking of vancouver or toronto
i looked up online sites most of them for IT business analyst / consultant roles.
Looks like there are alot of openings but no responses yet.

fingers crossed.

~sush

NJ2014

Jan 22, 2015
susmithaburra1989 said:
hey i am also planning to since my Pr is last stages.
i am thinking of vancouver or toronto
i looked up online sites most of them for IT business analyst / consultant roles.
Looks like there are alot of openings but no responses yet.

fingers crossed.

~sush
Hi Sushmita,
Did you get any response from the employers in Cananda. I am in same boat, I got my visa and I am trying jobs from offshore(India) there good number of jobs but I am not getting any response.

:( ::(

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
NJ2014 said:
Hi Sushmita,
Did you get any response from the employers in Cananda. I am in same boat, I got my visa and I am trying jobs from offshore(India) there good number of jobs but I am not getting any response.

:( ::(
Almost impossible to land a job from outside Canada. Employers want to see and talk to you before hiring.

PGS77

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Aug-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
PER :19-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
IELTS : 7.5
File Transfer...
SLU - 4-March-2015
Med's Request
31-March-2015
Med's Done....
11-April-2015 ,TL:21-April-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
3-June-2015, DM:4-June-15
VISA ISSUED...
19-June-2015
LANDED..........
26-Sept-2015
justinline said:
Summer is prime landing time, because every one wants to avoid snow (....like that's a possibility in ::) Canada).

From time you start sending resume, initial interview to on site interview, it takes good month or two. I would say get a Canadian street address, a Canadian phone number. Start applying with local address and number. When you have few interviews lined up, take a trip for week or two.

Other than that there is no good time .....in a bad economy.
I am sorry but you are a huge pessimist. Please don't pass on your negativity to others.
I strongly believe that if you Stay positive and work hard initially, everything will work out .

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
PGS77 said:
I am sorry but you are a huge pessimist. Please don't pass on your negativity to others.
I strongly believe that if you Stay positive and work hard initially, everything will work out .
I would say the same otherwise. Don't pass unjustified optimism to people.

Many people work hard and stay positvie and still can't make it. It is much more complex than that.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Jalex23 said:
I would say the same otherwise. Don't pass unjustified optimism to people.

Many people work hard and stay positvie and still can't make it. It is much more complex than that.
Jalex is right.. way too complex. You have to stay positive and work hard, but the decision to hire you is out of your control. I tried for 6 months before landing in Canada, yes, I got replies, but they were all saying, once you are in Canada, ring us.

The moment I landed and looked for jobs with a Canadian address and phone number, the phone started to ring and interviews happened. Let's be realistic here: who would hire a person unseen, unheard and never met? The labour laws are different in Canada than wherever you come from. That's how the cookie crumbles.

justinline

May 19, 2009
I am really sorry if my posts are downers... :'(. Believe me I am not here to spread optimism or pessimism. I am just stating what I see, so new immigrants are better prepared. If you have no idea what you are getting into you will always fail, and more importantly you would not even know what hit you.

Good example is my nephew, who just enrolled in MBBS course back home. He was asking how he can migrate to Canada. What am I supposed to say, yeah come here after you finish your course. You will get a royal welcome, license in a year or two, another few you can have your own practice. Then you can happily live ever after.
OR
Should I not tell him how difficult it is to break into the system for foreign medical graduates, should I not tell him about doctors and dentist driving taxis here,should I not tell him it will be years and years of doing survival jobs. That too with uncertainity that he might never get to practice his chosen profession. Its better to get into some other profession if he is really thinking of immigrating.

When someone asks me about economy of Calgary or settling here, should I just say streets here is paved with gold. When I know how much hit Calgary has taken because of low oil prices. Just google and you shall find about the layoffs here. Actually most of the info that forums like this provides is one google search away. We just contribute in terms of personal experience.

There is no charm lost in doing survival jobs (covering my bases else you might term me snob along with pessimist...... ;)), any job whether taxi driver to janitor to CEO are honest days work. Any honest profession should not be looked down upon. But then here is where many of the immigrants dont want to climb down their high horses as well. If you were Manager,CFO, CIO and Director back home, you have MBA+years and years and experience from your native country, thats all fine and good. But understand how much cache that will buy in Canadian job market. If you get stuck on saying I will only look for CFO and CIO positions with just foreign credentials and experience, good luck to you. Also this not a rule, if you have MBA from LSE or Harvard or Yale and good international experience, of course you will get much better response and much better bargaining power. Now don't accuse me of being discriminatory just because I point out MBA from Ivy league is worth more than a MBA from Universtiy of 'Who Knows Where-Top Ranked In My Country'.

Hard work and positivity is key to success, not denying it. But be realistic, thats what I aim. My posts might not help you, but it might to others. So I just put down my experience, I don't worry about spreading pessimism or optimism. Realism is what I am tying to spread, based on my observation.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
shakti123 said:

Between May and July, July is better. People might have started come back from summer vacations and getting ready to work...
Otherwise, all months are same with some pros and cons.

For people coming from warmer countries, summer is better as they don't have any experience with Snow. It could be hard to go out in cold weather....

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
polara69 said:
Jalex is right.. way too complex. You have to stay positive and work hard, but the decision to hire you is out of your control. I tried for 6 months before landing in Canada, yes, I got replies, but they were all saying, once you are in Canada, ring us.

The moment I landed and looked for jobs with a Canadian address and phone number, the phone started to ring and interviews happened. Let's be realistic here: who would hire a person unseen, unheard and never met? The labour laws are different in Canada than wherever you come from. That's how the cookie crumbles.
I second that. Getting replies from outside Canada is next to impossible. Though I know a couple of people who lined up interviews with recruiters when they were about to leave for Canada and contacted them on landing and got jobs in a weeks time.

So its all about being in right place at right time.
But 99% cases, you will get replies when you are in Canada and they have visibility that they can talk to you in person.
Also, Canadian recruitment is very very slow. Typically they take 1-2 months to screen all applications and then reply back... so have realistic expectations..its not like in eastern countries like India....

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
True that. Next to impossible, but not impossible. And it depends on your skills and the requirements for the role. I updated my resume on a few job sites and have landed a few interviews as well. My approach is very targeted - selective role, filtered by salary requirements. Location on the other hand is fluid as of now. I am not in an 'IT' role, so don't know how it works there, but regardless of your desired role, please treat your job search as a full time job.

Someone once said, "if only people started planning their careers like they plan vacations, they would receive success"

Good luck!