+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[what is the correct approach to memorize words]

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hello
There aren't many top notch books for vocabulary, but also some of them are good reference for IELTS vocabulary such as barron
My question is : suppose each night you finish 1 unit and it includes 30 new words ,maybe fewer or more, IELTS candidate even though should try hard, but there isn't enough time to build sentence with each word [maybe the best approach for learning new word is using them in sentence ]
what is/are the other approach to learn more quickly and memorize the words?
As long as I've remembered many movies I've seen , I tried to write a new vocabularies, but after a while it was forgotten :(
and this make me unhappy and disappointed

regards

GlobalQuest

Dec 28, 2017
Hi, for vocabulary I would suggest reading newspaper editorials or opinion pieces and trying to underline the words you dont know and searching for their meaning. Since those words would already be in sentences, you will learn the usage along with the meaning then and there itself. Also you can take the words from books like barrons and look them up in a thesaurus that you have, or online. Making sentences is an excellent way of memorizing the words you have learned. Keep a consistent schedule and learn some new words daily. Also make sure to revise them every now and then. Good luck.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello
There aren't many top notch books for vocabulary, but also some of them are good reference for IELTS vocabulary such as barron
My question is : suppose each night you finish 1 unit and it includes 30 new words ,maybe fewer or more, IELTS candidate even though should try hard, but there isn't enough time to build sentence with each word [maybe the best approach for learning new word is using them in sentence ]
what is/are the other approach to learn more quickly and memorize the words?
As long as I've remembered many movies I've seen , I tried to write a new vocabularies, but after a while it was forgotten :(
and this make me unhappy and disappointed

regards
Memorizing words is one thing , but learning to use them in sentences and most importantly in the right context is another

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hi, for vocabulary I would suggest reading newspaper editorials or opinion pieces and trying to underline the words you dont know and searching for their meaning. Since those words would already be in sentences, you will learn the usage along with the meaning then and there itself. Also you can take the words from books like barrons and look them up in a thesaurus that you have, or online. Making sentences is an excellent way of memorizing the words you have learned. Keep a consistent schedule and learn some new words daily. Also make sure to revise them every now and then. Good luck.
Thanks for your explanation
You mentioned Barron , which books from Barron , also there are a few Books one of them if I 'm not wrong has 601 words , one of them 1100 ,essential