+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best option

albertopt

Feb 23, 2010
Viseu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys i really hope you can help me,

I am looking at the possibility of going to canada to reside there, my doubts are

i have a background of store manager at a fast food chain service during 4 years at a total of 14 in catering i dont know if that qualifies as professional, a few certificates of 1st aid, food and higiene and food safety recognized by the british government.

I was thinking of going to canada and look for a job and request a temporary work permit, followed by a permanent visa after the extensions needed what are my odds, has i have my wife and my 6 year old son.

please advise me

Regards

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
albertopt said:
Hi guys i really hope you can help me,

I am looking at the possibility of going to canada to reside there, my doubts are

i have a background of store manager at a fast food chain service during 4 years at a total of 14 in catering i dont know if that qualifies as professional, a few certificates of 1st aid, food and higiene and food safety recognized by the british government.

I was thinking of going to canada and look for a job and request a temporary work permit, followed by a permanent visa after the extensions needed what are my odds, has i have my wife and my 6 year old son.

please advise me

Regards
Check if you qualify under the FSW category: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

There is a self assessment you can do on your own using the cic website or use Atty Cohen's assessment: http://www.canadavisa.com/

albertopt

Feb 23, 2010
Viseu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi again

I belong the FSW category, but on assesement i came short with 52 points, my downside is my
studies as didnt finish high school but i have a lot of experience on my field of work, the other thing i saw was the a job proposal is worth 10 points and i can work a bit more on my french as well, i am finnancialy stable, do you think going there as a turist and try to land a job will be a good option even if i have to leave canada to get in again, with a job proposal.

Please let me know

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can get a job in Canada as a fast food shift manager or store manager, that is a skilled type job and would allow your wife to get an open work permit based on your permit and would allow you to apply for permanent residency under Canadian Experience class after 2 years of work.

I do not know if there is currently a shortage of fast food managers which would have an impact on how easy it would be to get a work permit.

Start by looking for jobs online. The fast food chains in Canada are like in most other places McDonalds, Burger King, Subways, KFC, Dominos, Pizza Hut etc. but also A&W, Harvey's, Arby's, Mr. Sub and Tim Horton's.

CABETO

Mar 17, 2009
Hi Alberto, just to share my experience with you.
I also have some years of experience in the resturant business, I started from the very bottom as a dishwasher, went throughout several more posistions like kitchen manager, shift manager assitant to the general manager, general manager and ended up as a district manager in charge of 7 locations. I am serve safe certified in the USA, and all my restaurant background has been build in USA.
After some days of research and even though as was told by several immigration lawyers that I was elegible under the FSW, I decided no to risk any money and take a huge step back and come as a low skilled worker.
I found a job in the fast food industry, and an employer willing to go throughout the process, he got a LMO and sent it to my with a contract, after that I aplied for a TRV in the Canadian ambassy in my country, I was issued the visa and here I am, working for a Tim hortons as a food counter attendant, not even close to the position I used to hold in the USA, but I am here, getting to know the country, the culture, practicing the language, learning to work under canadian regulations, gaining canadian experience and with the opportunity of keep looking for a better job, which is way easier once you are here. It is hard, but nobody said it would be easy.
I am no telling you what to do simply sharing my experience.
Good look

albertopt

Feb 23, 2010
Viseu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks
Great feedback, it is very close to my story, i dont mind giving a step back from my position has a store manager, i just want to have a job and from then on, go up with hard work and get my place in society,but that will give me time to learn more stuff about canada and their costumes.

If you have anymore info ill be glad to receive it, specially about paperwork required on a step by step basis.

Many thanks

albertopt

Feb 23, 2010
Viseu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just Forgot

What company helped you out with a contract or companies that you know can help me.

Thanks