+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the best option to apply for PR? through live in caregiver or spousal?

tikya-lg

Jan 25, 2013
Hi, im new here. i want to hear from you guys any opinion or advice. I am a live in caregiver Filipina for 13 months now. My working permit will expired on September. My Canadian fiance and I are planning to get married on summer. I am planning to process now for my extension of work permit before we get married. My question is what is the best option or way to apply for permanent resident? through spousal sponsorship or i wait for 3,900 hours of work or 24 months under live in caregiver program? It is a couple of months away after we get married i can obtain the requirements of live in caregiver program? I am really confused what to choose, but i really want to finish the live in caregiver program.

Please i need advice, thanks

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
You state your permit is valid to Sep bringing you to about 20 months or whatever number of hours completed; a very short time away from meeting the timeline to apply for PR under the program you started. The chances of a renewed work permit are favoured if you have been with the same employer and close to meeting the time in the program.

Once you marry the question arises will you continue to meet the requirements of the program? Will you still be living-in as a caregiver? If not that could have an effect on the outcome of the application under the program. If you do continue to be a live-in caregiver where will your spouse live? Will the employer allow the spouse to reside with you? If not it could pose a problem with a spousal application where you must be residing with your spouse.

Ultimately the decision is one you will need to make. Either case may be successful and is very hard to determine without all of the facts that would be available to the decision maker in the application you choose to submit.

tikya-lg

Jan 25, 2013
Thank you for the reply. If I will choose the live in caregiver program, I will still continue working with my employer as a stay in, even if I get married. My husband stay in an apartment a minutes away from me so only in the weekend and holidays we been live together, and after I work I can just visit him a couple of hours and go home to my employer house...My husband to be agree to me that he can wait for me to move in with him when I get my OWP. If this program I will choose there's no possibility of the immigration will ask so many question about my application then? Thanks and hope to hear your opinion guys, really confused now what to do.