+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best option for us? Open Work Permit or PR application

dhruv850

Apr 14, 2017
Hi there,

I am stuck in the dilemma where I am trying to figure out the fastest way to get my wife here in Canada. I am currently on PGWP with 6 months of experience after getting my work permit. I want to bring my wife in Canada as soon as possible.

What are my options?
1. When I do PR application, I also add her in the application
2. Dependent Visa ( Spousal Visa - Can I bring her via this route if I am on work permit? )

We are mainly concerned about the fastest way we can be together. Out of these two what will be the fastest considering the covid-19 situation? Is there any other way for which apart from these two?

Thank you.

canuck90

Star Member
Jan 20, 2021
Brantford, ON
Assuming, you need to wait 6 more months to apply for PR though CEC (assuming you have documents ready within 6 months) and wait for draw to happen. Scores vary over time and once you are invited it will take min 6 months to get PR. So its already 12 months by the time you receive PR including your wife. I believe you can apply for dependent work permit since you have PGWP and not sure about the processing time. Check IRCC website. You can try applying visitor visa.

Last edited:

dhruv850

Apr 14, 2017
Hi Canuck90,

Thank you for your answer.

Is dependent work-permit a type of Visa? Or that is something I can get after I apply a visa for my wife?

Also, what is the exact name of the visa I need to apply for my wife? I just want to see the processing time of that.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Canuck90,

Thank you for your answer.

Is dependent work-permit a type of Visa? Or that is something I can get after I apply a visa for my wife?

Also, what is the exact name of the visa I need to apply for my wife? I just want to see the processing time of that.

Thank you.
This is really the wrong part of the forum for you to be posting your questions. You should be posting them to the Foreign Workers or International Students section of the forum. You'll get the best answers there. Look for discussions about SOWPs.

Reactions: YVR123