+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best approach toward this types of questions, Reading

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
What has been your most frequent band score in reading while practicing?
I'm practicing General
7.5 in the worst situation, but it fluctuates between 7 to 8, sometimes 9
but in compare to 7 , obtaining 7 is much more than 9 for instance.
Although I've been trying to learn from each passage, sometimes I've stuck between 2 options in Y N NG questions, mostly N NG, I'm pretty sure that scanning as well as skimming are not good way for at least NOT GIVEN, ultimately , the whole passage should be read ,
I've observed hit-or-miss in Cambridge answer that declare : gist of Paragraph two , therefore , gist means your precise perception through/over the text and from my perspective do/does not have any particular solution .

anyway
I'm thrilled while I conceive/cognize any method

thanks

Reactions: Jaycejay

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
Your scores are not bad. If your aim is. 9 or 8.5 you are not far away from reaching that. I’ll share some very useful tips from IELTS liz’s blog

Reactions: santi_marlon

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
Difficulties with True False & Not Given
  1. Paraphrasing. You must be prepared for the words in the statement to be paraphrased in the passage. This means you really need to know your vocabulary.
  2. You are looking for meaning. Many students just try to match words but you actually need to match meaning and check the content of the information given. Some times the same words are used but the meaning is not the same – this is one common difficulty with choosing the right answer.
  3. Not Given and False (No)
    1. Not Given means the entire statement is not given in the passage. Maybe part of the statement is given but not the whole statement. Watch out for that!! Try to find the whole meaning in the passage.
    2. False means the passage contradicts the statement. Don’t forget you are not just looking for an opposite meaning, you are also looking forcontradicting information.

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
Summary of IELTS Reading True False Not Given Tips
Below is a list of the main Tips for IELTS True False Not Given Reading Questions. However, you should watch the video to understand them clearly for maximum benefit.

1. Spend time analysing the statement in the question before you try to find the answer
  2. Many words will be paraphrased so watch out for that (for example, work = employment / changing = altering)
  3. Don’t match just key words, you are aiming to match meaning. Some of the key words might be the same in the passage but it doesn’t mean the answer is true or yes.
  4. The meaning of false or no is that the statement contradicts the claims or information in the passage. This means the statement gives one meaning but the passage gives another meaning – therefore the statement is FALSE.
  5. Not Given means that the whole meaning of the statement is not in the passage. Some key words might be found but not the full meaning of the statement.
  6. You can write T instead of True on your answer sheet but make sure your handwriting is clear.
  7. The answers follow the order of information in the passage for these questions. Other types of reading questions might not have answers that come in order.
  8. Learn common challenges or problems that you have in reading. Make a list of paraphrases you have struggled with.

• Love

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Your scores are not bad. If your aim is. 9 or 8.5 you are not far away from reaching that. I’ll share some very useful tips from IELTS liz’s blog
Thanks, honestly talking , it has risen and fallen frequently, but I try to stabilize it on a band 7.
most probably even I could gain a band 9 If I could overcome Y N NG and some difficulty level Qs.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Summary of IELTS Reading True False Not Given Tips
Below is a list of the main Tips for IELTS True False Not Given Reading Questions. However, you should watch the video to understand them clearly for maximum benefit.

1. Spend time analysing the statement in the question before you try to find the answer
  2. Many words will be paraphrased so watch out for that (for example, work = employment / changing = altering)
  3. Don’t match just key words, you are aiming to match meaning. Some of the key words might be the same in the passage but it doesn’t mean the answer is true or yes.
  4. The meaning of false or no is that the statement contradicts the claims or information in the passage. This means the statement gives one meaning but the passage gives another meaning – therefore the statement is FALSE.
  5. Not Given means that the whole meaning of the statement is not in the passage. Some key words might be found but not the full meaning of the statement.
  6. You can write T instead of True on your answer sheet but make sure your handwriting is clear.
  7. The answers follow the order of information in the passage for these questions. Other types of reading questions might not have answers that come in order.
  8. Learn common challenges or problems that you have in reading. Make a list of paraphrases you have struggled with.
very useful tips