+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the answer to - Are you a lawful permanent resident of US with a valid USCIS number?

vishalchan

Jul 28, 2018
Hi,
Hello everyone. I have received the ITA for FSW. One of the questions on the form is -
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number? (required)

I am on an h1b visa and don't have a greencard. I do have an approved I140 but not a greencard.
What should the answer for this question be?
I am a lawful resident...but not permanent since I don't have a greencard. However, for tax purposes in the US I am considered a resident.
Any help will be really appreciated.
thanks,
V

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Well if you don’t have a green card then you are not a permanent resident? You are a resident all right but not a permanent one. So the answer should be No.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The answer is "No".

You're one of the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Indian/Chinese citizens who have approved green cards but aren't PRs and are not likely to become PRs in the next 70+ years. Therefore, you aren't a lawful permanent resident.

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi,
Hello everyone. I have received the ITA for FSW. One of the questions on the form is -
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number? (required)

I am on an h1b visa and don't have a greencard. I do have an approved I140 but not a greencard.
What should the answer for this question be?
I am a lawful resident...but not permanent since I don't have a greencard. However, for tax purposes in the US I am considered a resident.
Any help will be really appreciated.
thanks,
V
What did you end up adding? Yes or No? Did you get your PR if you added NO. Even I am on F1 visa just converting to H1 last week. Not sure what to add.

Xtensio

May 8, 2019
The only correct answer to that question is „NO“

A legal permanent resident is a Greencard Holder. No GC, no permanent resident.
H1, F1, E Visa - those are all NON-Immigrant-Visas, therefore you are not considered a PERMANENT resident because you are not allowed to stay as long as you want

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
The only correct answer to that question is „NO“

A legal permanent resident is a Greencard Holder. No GC, no permanent resident.
H1, F1, E Visa - those are all NON-Immigrant-Visas, therefore you are not considered a PERMANENT resident because you are not allowed to stay as long as you want
Yup. Decided to change it to NO. I will write explanation in LOE about my status in US.

Xtensio

May 8, 2019
Yup. Decided to change it to NO. I will write explanation in LOE about my status in US.
You actually don’t even have to explain this. You are required to upload a picture of every stamped page of your passport - they will see your visa-stamp and know that you are on a Non-Immigrant-Visa in the US​

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
You actually don’t even have to explain this. You are required to upload a picture of every stamped page of your passport - they will see your visa-stamp and know that you are on a Non-Immigrant-Visa in the US​
Makes sense now. Thanks brother.

gentjack

Apr 13, 2020
My son is US citizen. Can I write his passport number there? Many thanks.

arindamCA

Jul 20, 2021
What about my US-born Son? He is having US passport. But now we have moved to Canada for the last 2 years on a work permit and I am an Indian Citizen. What I should answer for my Son? Please help.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
What about my US-born Son? He is having US passport. But now we have moved to Canada for the last 2 years on a work permit and I am an Indian Citizen. What I should answer for my Son? Please help.
Answer "No" because he isn't a permanent resident. He's a citizen.