+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is Prohibitions form

ogbg

Star Member
Oct 9, 2015
I received updates about my oath as follow:
  • Prohibitions form: Sent

We sent you a prohibitions form for your application. Check the letter or email we sent for more details.
  • Nov 22, 2021

Scheduled for Citizenship oath

Citizenship ceremony
    Nov 22, 2021

Oath or affirmation of citizenship form required

Nov22, 2021
    We sent you the oath or affirmation of citizenship form.

So, what is the difference between oath or affirmation form and prohibition form?
  • Thank you.

gantisunil86

Sep 9, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
23-11-2016
Nomination.....
06-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-12-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2017
I received updates about my oath as follow:
  • Prohibitions form: Sent

We sent you a prohibitions form for your application. Check the letter or email we sent for more details.
  • Nov 22, 2021

Scheduled for Citizenship oath

Citizenship ceremony
    Nov 22, 2021

Oath or affirmation of citizenship form required

Nov22, 2021
    We sent you the oath or affirmation of citizenship form.

So, what is the difference between oath or affirmation form and prohibition form?
  • Thank you.
Hey i received the same! is it Niagara Office? When is your Oath? From my research what i found is, its a system update/glitch and no one receives the form, it's actually included in the Affirmation Form, the first Signature under Prohibitions. So nothing to worry about, in fact i confirmed from one applicant who got same update and didn't receive any form and did complete his Oath and got the Certificate. In fact 3-4 Applicants had similar update.

ogbg

Star Member
Oct 9, 2015
Hey i received the same! is it Niagara Office? When is your Oath? From my research what i found is, its a system update/glitch and no one receives the form, it's actually included in the Affirmation Form, the first Signature under Prohibitions. So nothing to worry about, in fact i confirmed from one applicant who got same update and didn't receive any form and did complete his Oath and got the Certificate. In fact 3-4 Applicants had similar update.

Yes, it is Niagara office. The oath date is Dec. 7. What about you>

gantisunil86

Sep 9, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
23-11-2016
Nomination.....
06-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-12-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2017
Reactions: ogbg

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Apart from the vagaries in current procedures due to measures in response to the global pandemic, if the applicant is presented a "prohibitions form" that is to document the now "candidate" (once approved for a grant of citizenship, the applicant becomes a "candidate" for citizenship) still has no prohibitions . . . no criminal charges, not reported for inadmissibility, and so on.

Historically this was part of the documentation the citizenship candidate had to sign just before taking the oath.

No criminal charges, no problem.

Enjoy the ceremony!

(Side note: several years ago they changed the process to include this definitive affirmation of no prohibitions, meaning mostly the applicant is not charged with a crime, right before the oath, because a Federal Court had ruled that where an applicant failed to notify CIC/IRCC of an arrest on a serious charge after the test but before taking the oath, that did not constitute a misrepresentation sufficient to revoke the grant of citizenship. Since the applicant was not asked about prohibitions after the test but before the oath. So now, again but for vagaries in process related to Covid, applicants/candidates must affirmatively make a representation they are not subject to any of the prohibitions . . . just in case, for example, a week before the oath, if the applicant beat up a former partner or was caught dealing drugs, then took the oath, and IRCC does not find out about the criminal charges until later, now there is definitive basis for revoking citizenship based on misrepresentation.)

Alkoya75

Nov 24, 2020
Can someone get Oath without the prohibition change to completed in the tracker. Cos mine is been stuck on prohibition for 2months even thou my Background and everything Else is completed

Goldenita

Jun 29, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone get Oath without the prohibition change to completed in the tracker. Cos mine is been stuck on prohibition for 2months even thou my Background and everything Else is completed
Hi any update, has your prohibition cleared, what about language and physical presence

insa_c

Oct 29, 2016
Mine got stuck on prohibition as well, not sure what's going on. other than oath and prohibition all the checks are completed.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Mine got stuck on prohibition as well, not sure what's going on. other than oath and prohibition all the checks are completed.
Same here. I pr card expiry in May 2022 even they held it on too. I'm very nervous
REMINDERS:

There is always a pending prohibitions check right up to the oath.​

Even after the decision is made, approving the grant of citizenship, another prohibitions check (GCMS check of criminal name-record database information, at the least screening for name-record hits in RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI databases) is done before the oath. AND EVEN after the oath is scheduled, right before taking the oath itself, the applicant (technically "candidate" after a DM approval) will be asked to verify no prohibitions (usually by an affirmation of no prohibitions on a "prohibitions" form; but some reports suggest this sometimes may be verbal).​
Just because the information in GCMS records the client can access (whether in eCas or the Tracker, and including via ATIP requests or an inquiry via Help Centre telephone agents) do not show prohibitions as complete DOES NOT mean prohibitions are holding things up. If anything is holding the process up, it is far more likely to be something other than a prohibitions check.​
Efforts to micro-monitor the progress of an application through the process based on information in GCMS about the status of background checks, clearances, or prohibitions, will reveal NEAR NOTHING about what is actually happening or when the next step in the process will take place.​

Further Observations and Explanation:

I understand, and I sympathize given the inordinately lengthy processing times these days, the compelling desire to find out more about what is happening, what will happen next, when it will happen, how long this is going to take. Unfortunately, monitoring the status of background checks, clearances, or prohibitions, will offer very little if any information that will shed light on the process.

I also understand that for many doing this, pursuing information about these things, helps them feel like they are doing something, doing what they can, and to the extent that mitigates the anxiety, that is OK. The problem here, in this forum, is that conversations about this tend to be confusing and misleading, and it is apparent they invite and elevate the tension and worry for many.

Mainly, the vast majority of qualified citizenship applicants do not need to worry about background screening, background clearances, or the prohibitions checks, UNLESS they know of a reason to worry, not from anything they can learn from their file but based on what they know about themselves.

Those with a criminal history know they have a criminal history. The status of background checks and clearances in their citizenship application case is not going to illuminate anything more than what they already know. Impact on application processing depends on the particular details in the individual's personal history.

Otherwise, sure, some applicants have had interactions with law enforcement or the courts that could or will likely trigger background concerns, even though they have no prohibitions. They too know who they are. The applicant who has been charged with an offence which has been withdrawn, for example, knows about it. No prohibition, but sure they can anticipate the possibility of some non-routine processing related to this, attendant IRCC's due diligence to verify there are no prohibitions.

However, unless the interaction with law enforcement or the courts is relatively recent, AFTER the application was made, the impact (if any) will NOT affect processing the application AFTER a PI (Program Integrity) Interview (which ordinarily ALL applicants do, but under Covid-related measures perhaps only a little more than half are being given a PI Interview). Thus, basically, unless something has happened AFTER applying, once the applicant's case is past the test, it is just about waiting, about how long the application is in queue for a processing agent to complete the process and a Citizenship Officer to review it and approve the grant of citizenship. How long that will take varies a lot. NOTHING in the applicant's GCMS records about background checks, clearances, or prohibitions, will illuminate anything about how much longer it will be.

Everyone else, the vast majority of qualified applicants, have NO reason to worry about the status of background checks, clearances, or prohibitions. And micro-monitoring their file will NOT offer any useful information otherwise.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
REMINDERS:

There is always a pending prohibitions check right up to the oath.​

Even after the decision is made, approving the grant of citizenship, another prohibitions check (GCMS check of criminal name-record database information, at the least screening for name-record hits in RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI databases) is done before the oath. AND EVEN after the oath is scheduled, right before taking the oath itself, the applicant (technically "candidate" after a DM approval) will be asked to verify no prohibitions (usually by an affirmation of no prohibitions on a "prohibitions" form; but some reports suggest this sometimes may be verbal).​
Just because the information in GCMS records the client can access (whether in eCas or the Tracker, and including via ATIP requests or an inquiry via Help Centre telephone agents) do not show prohibitions as complete DOES NOT mean prohibitions are holding things up. If anything is holding the process up, it is far more likely to be something other than a prohibitions check.​
Efforts to micro-monitor the progress of an application through the process based on information in GCMS about the status of background checks, clearances, or prohibitions, will reveal NEAR NOTHING about what is actually happening or when the next step in the process will take place.​
Valid points @dpenabill

In my case all boxes have been ticked but the Oath invite has not come in yet. My physical presence has only been completed a couple of weeks ago, whereas all others ie Background, Prohibitions, Language & Test were completed in 2020. Could this mean that the application goes back to the drawing board for background check / Prohibitions since they may have an expiry date and that explains why I haven't received an oath invite yet? For information, the old system is showing Decision Made. Any thoughts?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In my case all boxes have been ticked but the Oath invite has not come in yet. My physical presence has only been completed a couple of weeks ago, whereas all others ie Background, Prohibitions, Language & Test were completed in 2020. Could this mean that the application goes back to the drawing board for background check / Prohibitions since they may have an expiry date and that explains why I haven't received an oath invite yet? For information, the old system is showing Decision Made. Any thoughts?
Overall, information that "Background" and "Prohibitions" were completed SAYS almost NOTHING about the status of the application. I realize this is more or less a dissenting view here. And there are some nuances. But in general, notations about the status of these does not offer much if any insight into what will happen next or when.

[Note, to be more precise, that these are or were shown to be "complete" says virtually nothing that is not otherwise readily apparent and known. Example: sure, notations these are complete indicate the application has at least passed the completeness screening and the application is "in process." But the applicant knows this from AOR and other indicators, respectively, like getting scheduled for the knowledge of Canada test confirms the application is in process.]​

So no, there is no reason to suspect, let alone anticipate or expect, that the potential expiration of a background clearance will cause any delay in being scheduled for the oath (with exception as described in previous post -- like having a recent arrest); almost zero chance the status of your background clearances explains why you have not received an oath invite yet.***

Again, there is no reason to anticipate that the status of background checks, clearances, or prohibitions reveals any information an applicant can use to know what the next step will be or how long it will be to get there. This includes being scheduled for the oath.

While I am not entirely sure what you mean by "goes back to the drawing board for background check / Prohibitions," once RCMP and CSIS clearances have been done (and as best we can discern, this does NOT hold up application processing at all*** except, perhaps, for only very few applicants, who again should know who they are), even if they "expire" and need to be updated, that should have no more than a minimal impact, IF ANY at all, on WHEN the next step is taken. These clearances, including updates, are perhaps the most routinely done routine in the whole process; last internal information I have seen was the referrals to RCMP and CSIS are done in batches of up to 100 at a time. We do not know what the internal process is in the RCMP or CSIS (secret stuff), regarding their respective clearances, but there is nothing to suggest that once an individual has passed the check and a clearance has been sent to the applicant's file, updating it later should slow the process down much if any (at least for the vast, vast majority of applicants). For example, even if the application is subject to a RCMP or CSIS clearance update, that update will most likely take less time than the time it takes for the respective processing agent to open the file again to actually schedule it for the oath.

As I previously indicated, there is always a Prohibitions check pending, virtually right up to the end. Note: there is a GCMS background check done each and every time any processing agent or Citizenship Officer takes any action on a citizenship file. Every time. That includes screening for name-record hits in RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI databases. So whether or not the file shows Prohibitions "completed" means nothing, since there will be another Prohibitions check done.

NOTES:

***Note 1: Of course, for this or that applicant, depending on their actual situation, there may be something triggering a more thorough background screening, or investigation, of an applicant, and background clearances will not be done unless and until that is complete; but this is not about the status of routine background or prohibitions clearances and checks, but if applicable is a non-routine process for those few applicants with a problem in their history. They generally know who they are.

***Note 2: I realize many believe otherwise and that many report call centre agents saying that their application is "waiting" on a background clearance; this is something I have discussed at length many times, and explained that but for the exceptions (mostly for applicants who know they are likely among the exceptions, and why) the next step in processing is rarely if at all held up because of clearances.

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Overall, information that "Background" and "Prohibitions" were completed SAYS almost NOTHING about the status of the application. I realize this is more or less a dissenting view here. And there are some nuances. But in general, notations about the status of these does not offer much if any insight into what will happen next or when.
Thanks @dpenabill

Perhaps the ‘drawing board’ was a wrong choice of words; what I meant was restarting a background check / prohibitions which could perhaps explain the oath delay, which you have answered.

It’s been 40 months since I mailed my citizenship application; frustrating because I’m fairly certain that I’m not one of those who know what they know

Frustrating again because in Feb 2020, they updated everything about my case yet took another 24 months to validate my physical presence.

Frustrating because my MP chose to ignore my mails requesting help.

Frustrating because I haven’t visited my family in six years.

And I thought Indian bureaucracy was bad!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks @dpenabill

Perhaps the ‘drawing board’ was a wrong choice of words; what I meant was restarting a background check / prohibitions which could perhaps explain the oath delay, which you have answered.

It’s been 40 months since I mailed my citizenship application; frustrating because I’m fairly certain that I’m not one of those who know what they know

Frustrating again because in Feb 2020, they updated everything about my case yet took another 24 months to validate my physical presence.

Frustrating because my MP chose to ignore my mails requesting help.

Frustrating because I haven’t visited my family in six years.

And I thought Indian bureaucracy was bad!
I understand the frustration, and I sympathize. IRCC really should be able to do a better job timely processing applications, even non-routine applications with substantive issues. It is disappointing.

Of course Covid has made a real mess of processing timelines. It is very likely the impact is worse for applications subject to substantive non-routine processing, and as this forum has amply criticized, the impact on even routinely processed applications has been unacceptably huge.

Overall, it appears your application was non-routine for substantive reasons, probably related to background inquiries related to verification of actual physical presence. Very hard to figure what is going on behind the curtains, but best guess is that questions about physical presence were the main reason things got held up; if these have been resolved, odds are good (never know for sure) you are on track for a more routine timeline going forward, to be scheduled for the oath. BUT, of course even the routine timelines are unpredictable still, and can range from long to longer.

This leads to distinguishing background "clearances," the formal RCMP and CSIS clearances, versus IRCC's "background" screening of citizenship applicants generally. Apart from the formal clearances from the RCMP or CSIS, there are many questions or concerns IRCC might have regarding a particular applicant's qualifications. Physical presence is among the more common issues. If IRCC has concerns, it can and it appears quite often it does refer the applicant to CBSA to conduct an investigation into the applicant's background, which in turn is referred to the NSSD (an investigatory division within CBSA). This will NOT show up in the Tracker, let alone eCas, and will not be seen by a call centre agent looking at the file, and there is no notation (that I know of) for this in the VERSION of GCMS records an applicant can obtain through an ATIP request. Investigatory procedures are confidential, not disclosed to clients; and typically not even the fact that there is an investigatory process taking place.

Again, no way to be sure, but given the overall timeline, request for travel history (as I recall you got that during the interview), differences between your application and your spouse's, and now the indication about physical presence, it looks like that could be what happened, a referral to CBSA to verify information related to your physical presence -- which can cause a significant delay in the best of times, but has undoubtedly been much worse during covid, and on top of that, it appears the timing of such a referral was especially bad for you, referral actions on files in early 2020 seem to be the most delayed by covid.

In any event, the *clue* and it is just a clue is the notation about physical presence being complete. Since that just happened, that is a clue that has been what was holding up your application. Cannot say for sure. But it is better than a guess, this is the likely suspect.

I cannot guess why there was a particular concern about your physical presence (assuming that was the concern delaying processing). The documents you were asked for were well within commonly experienced non-routine processing, a kind of non-routine processing I'd describe as incidental, and since there was no follow-up asking for more, and you did not get "RQ" as such, not even RQ lite (as best I recall from some of your posts and questions you posed to me a couple years or so ago), at that time that did not indicate a substantive concern.

So in terms of whether you are among those who know or should know what is holding things up, it appears you fall into a grey area . . . you knew there was some question about your physical presence, given the request for supplemental evidence, but since no formal RQ came later, and you have high confidence in the information you submitted, easy to see why you would not think questions about physical presence was the hold up.

From the way these things went in the past, I would have expected some version of RQ if IRCC still had physical presence concerns.

Hard to extrapolate much beyond that, since Covid has made such a mess of things and in addition to the overall impact of delaying everything, some things more than others, the various measures implemented during these Covid-times have badly disrupted what can be discerned from anecdotal reports.

I am guessing and hoping you have now cleared the hurdle obstructing your path to the oath. Wish I could offer more insight into the timeline from here, but it is just too hard to tell. (I recently was having a conversation with another forum participant, to whom I likewise said it looked like whatever issue there was has been resolved, and the oath could be scheduled soon or . . . and, right in the middle of the exchanges between us, that member of the forum got notice for the oath. BUT in contrast, I have had other similar conversations and it was many months later they got the oath invite, and more than a few others are still waiting.)

What does "background" check mean?

I have discussed the difference between the formal background clearances and IRCC's background screening of applicant information itself at length, in-depth multiple times in this forum, probably in some of the other topics referring to background checks in the title. Many conflate these rather different procedures. As I noted, for the vast majority of qualified applicants, the formal background clearances, from the RCMP and CSIS, are perhaps the most routinely done routine processing of citizenship applications. The extent to which IRCC can go probing into an applicant's background otherwise, or have CBSA do the probing, is a separate matter, and at the opposite end of the routine-versus-non-routine spectrum.

Reactions: akbardxb

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
So in terms of whether you are among those who know or should know what is holding things up, it appears you fall into a grey area . . . you knew there was some question about your physical presence, given the request for supplemental evidence, but since no formal RQ came later, and you have high confidence in the information you submitted, easy to see why you would not think questions about physical presence was the hold up.
Thanks @dpenabill

As I think about the interview, I am now beginning to be convinced that the delay has nothing to do with the facts of my application which have been 100% accurate. The interview started off on the wrong note. The body language and the sarcasm were hard to miss. I don't want to quote the actual conversation, in case it violates any privacy laws. My response to his one last remark, probably sealed my fate. Suffice to say it got argumentative. The next thing I knew was he printed a sheet of paper, put his initials and gave me 30 days to respond. Anyway, one doesn't have any control on these matters so no point in ranting about it here.

One last question - any thoughts on why does IRCC prohibit citizenship applicants from contacting the CBSA about their travel history. Wouldn't that be the simplest way to resolve this? After all, if they have doubts, don't they reach out to the CBSA for this check?