+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is my best option?

Sohalia

May 24, 2015
Hey, if anyone can give me some advice on what my best option is for immigrating to Canada I would really appreciate it!

Firstly, I'd like to say that my primary reason for immigrating is to be with my boyfriend. We've known each other for seven years, and have dated for five. Because of this, the spousal sponsorship program is one of the "routes" that we've been considering.

Secondly, soon I will have two associates degrees, one in English, and the other in Natural Sciences. I don't have any work experience with them yet, and I'm unsure of whether or not they could qualify me for one of the skilled occupations found on the cic website. Because I intend to move to Ontario, I think that means that I would be applying under the Provincial Nominee Program.

Finally, I'd also like to further my education and get licensed as a Medical Lab Tech. Unfortunately something like this isn't offered to international students, so I can't really get a student visa. So, I would either have to get licensed here in the States, work for a year, then get accredited to work in Canada, similar to "Option 2." Or, I could wait to continue my education once I have obtained Permanent Residency.

Trying to decide the "right path" has been hard for both of us, and unfortunately most of the places we call looking for information either ask for a consultation fee; or don't listen to our entire story, and instead jump instantly to the first "option" we tell them about. (And if the latter is any indication to how great some of the over-the-phone consultations we've gotten, I'd hate to spend $300 just to get something similar!)

If any of you can give me some sort of insight into which option would be best, or if you can come up with an entirely new plan/option I'd be very grateful! Thank you for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think you can apply to immigrate to Canada through any of the economic programs until you have at least one year of skilled work experience.

Your boyfriend can sponsor once you are either married or common law (have lived together for at least one full year).

So I think your options are: (1) Get a year of work experience and then hopefully qualify to apply as an economic immigrant; (2) get married to you boyfriend or live together for a year so that he can sponsor you as his spouse.

Sohalia

May 24, 2015
Thanks for the reply! Input like yours goes a long way since I'm basically stumbling through this whole thing blind. :) I'll most likely try to see if I can get a year of experience for the skilled worker program. (That list seems so small!) I'd much rather not have to feel like we rushed a wedding for convenience's sake.