+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is coop program means?

Golaka

May 1, 2012
what can i do if i apply for coop visa - can i apply for study only or for work permit too?

sid04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
co-op programs means courses with co-ops which is mainly the practical work experience during the studies. a student in co-op studies would require to complete certain hours of paid or unpaid practical work related to that field..for example if you are doing hotel management you would work in a restaurant for 2 minths (for example) out of 12 months. Mostly a student needs to pay a fee to the collge/university for these co-op in case they manage to get the co-op through the college. Mostly these are paid work...and these co-op credits are added to your overall score and also helps in sucessful completeion of the course.

Reactions: visatest

Golaka

May 1, 2012
so if i want to apply for the course it means i have to ask only for study permit or for both?

sid04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
co-op is must in almost all the programs..thus you automatically get the study permit for the entire length of the program..i.e programm length (usually 8 months) + co-op length...so dont worry....you just need to apply for the prohram and they will get to know that thats a a co-op programme and you will get ful proramme lenght stuty permit inclduing co-op

neeraj1985

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Band 8
Golaka said:
so if i want to apply for the course it means i have to ask only for study permit or for both?
Hi,

Initially you only need only study permit to begin your course of study.

Before, co-op begins, you will have to apply for a post study work permit to work outside the campus (if it's in the initial six months). In such a case, you would be required to get a letter from the college stating that co-op is a part of the program and then you can apply and get off campus work permit.

If it's after the first six months of study, which normally is the case, you will anyways be eligible to apply for the off campus work permit.

Hope this answers your question.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hey,
again same question is co op considered part time or full time.
Hi hkangas, as to your question regarding co-op in Canada; you will find most co-op experiences are full time. It is usually up to the school, not the government as to the form that the co-op takes. The Government of course sets the overall rules. Check out this site; it has good information.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=497&top=15
also this one:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Reactions: hkang12

hkang12

May 7, 2019
Hi hkangas, as to your question regarding co-op in Canada; you will find most co-op experiences are full time. It is usually up to the school, not the government as to the form that the co-op takes. The Government of course sets the overall rules. Check out this site; it has good information.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=497&top=15
also this one:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html
Hey,
yes i received a co op work permit and i did co op in my second last semester. im just worried that if co op semester will be considered full time or part time. because im planing to apply for PGWP and one allowed to be part time in last semester only. so i was worried about second last sem which was a co op semester. is there going to be any negative affect on my chance to get PGWP.
thanks for your reply awaiting for your reply

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hi there hkang, glad the sites were of use. Anyhow, this is a really tough one because the situation is unique and it involves the findings of two organizations (your school and CIC). The usual way this is done is that you go into your school and ask them to write precisely their definition of full and part time. Then the letter from the school must explain what the time you have put in represents per their definitions. This can take research, time, secretarial and official efforts, consequently, you may be charged a fee. Here such a letter would be $50.
Then CIC must interpret the letter, see if they can sync up your school's definitions with their rules, make a judgement and report back. In other words; this is going to take a while. ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE INSTITUTIONS INVOLVED FIRST. SEE WHAT THEY WANT, THEN PROCEED!!!
Good Luck !!!