+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is considered "Social Assistance?"

MAILTEJ

Jul 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Should have been LVO ...but it went to Ottawa :)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th May 2013
AOR Received.
3rd July 2013
Med's Request
17th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
19th Jan 2014
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
7th March 2014
You didn't sponsor your ex; she was a dependent in your PR app. Even if she was claiming welfare (she isn't, as EI is insurance), her financial situation is completely irrelevant to you.
Thank You !!!! So you basically mean it will not affect if i apply sponsorship for my current wife. However, on the Ontario's Ministry of Social and Community Services website, unemployment insurance called as Ontario works is classified under social assistance. Would you be able to clarify on this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank You !!!! So you basically mean it will not affect if i apply sponsorship for my current wife. However, on the Ontario's Ministry of Social and Community Services website, unemployment insurance called as Ontario works is classified under social assistance. Would you be able to clarify on this?
Again, you didn't sponsor her, so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: MAILTEJ

Yannn

Feb 24, 2018
Hi. I want to sponsor my husband but I'm receiving Ontario Trillium Benefit and HST. Is OTB and GST/HST considered as Social Assistance?

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
Hi. I want to sponsor my husband but I'm receiving Ontario Trillium Benefit and HST. Is OTB and GST/HST considered as Social Assistance?
No, those benefits are not social assistance. I receive them and was approved as a sponsor. Many people receive those benefits.

Joshua-H

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July, 2015
AOR Received.
7th Oct. 2015
Med's Request
4-29-2016
Hello, Anybody has idea about OESP? It's a small credit on hydro bills.. I am so worried about this.

Reactions: GraceW

Temi&lola

Aug 14, 2018
Hi, I want to sponsor my spouse but I took a loan from a money mart so I don't know if that can affect the sponsorship...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I want to sponsor my spouse but I took a loan from a money mart so I don't know if that can affect the sponsorship...
No - this will not impact sponsorship.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm filling the forms for the Quebec part of my spouse sponsorship application, and I'm very confused about what is considered to be "social aid". I'm the principal applicant. My sponsor receives a check of less than 60 dollars every month, as a complement of income (guaranteed basic income). Does it fall into the category of "prestations d’aide de dernier recours (aide sociale)"? Does it disqualify him as a sponsor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm filling the forms for the Quebec part of my spouse sponsorship application, and I'm very confused about what is considered to be "social aid". I'm the principal applicant. My sponsor receives a check of less than 60 dollars every month, as a complement of income (guaranteed basic income). Does it fall into the category of "prestations d’aide de dernier recours (aide sociale)"? Does it disqualify him as a sponsor?
Yes I would imagine that participating in a basic income program will be considered social assistance. Fundamentally you need to show you can support your family without government help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It sounds like welfare. Find out for sure before applying, as any amount of welfare would disqualify him.

ChennaiUser

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Hi Folks,
Can anyone please let me know if OBPAP (Ontario Bridge Participant Assistance Program) is considered social assistance or welfare, and if it will cause problems in spouse/child sponsorship? OBPAP is actually a bursary given for bridge programs like the ones conducted by ACCES Employment, Ryerson University, Humber College etc.
Regards,
KS

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Folks,
Can anyone please let me know if OBPAP (Ontario Bridge Participant Assistance Program) is considered social assistance or welfare, and if it will cause problems in spouse/child sponsorship? OBPAP is actually a bursary given for bridge programs like the ones conducted by ACCES Employment, Ryerson University, Humber College etc.
Regards,
KS
No it shouldn’t. Have you qualified for the bursary based on age our family income/savings? If you are in such financial need to require the bursary you may not be able to show that you can support your family. Based on the description families that are in the most financial need will be the ones that qualify first. Depending on what you are studying you’ll have to see if you qualify for OSAP first.