+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is considered "Social Assistance?"

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thank you Canuck78 ! My wife is also about to retire from another country and she has more Pension money to receive and Bank Savings more than the pension I am receiving right now from Canada. Two heads will be better than one when it comes to expenses and probably since my wife income will be added to the Household Income, by then we will not be qualified anymore for the subsidized Geared to Income Rent. We have 2 Nurses daughters but Immigration prefers the husband to sponsor the wife, so here i am asking for help advice.....
https://meurrensonimmigration.com/spousal-sponsorship-and-social-assistance/
Section 133 of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the “Regulations“) prohibits a Canadian citizen or permanent resident from sponsoring a foreign family member (generally a spouse, common-law partner, parent or grandparent) if the Canadian is in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than a disability. The Regulations define social assistance as being any benefit, whether money, goods or services, provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance. It includes assistance for food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care.

Pursuant to the internal Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC“) e-mail below, it is important to note that IRCC does not consider subsidized housing to be social assistance.

PROBLEM SOLVED- took me 10 seconds

8115MENARA

Aug 6, 2020
https://meurrensonimmigration.com/spousal-sponsorship-and-social-assistance/
Section 133 of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the “Regulations“) prohibits a Canadian citizen or permanent resident from sponsoring a foreign family member (generally a spouse, common-law partner, parent or grandparent) if the Canadian is in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than a disability. The Regulations define social assistance as being any benefit, whether money, goods or services, provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance. It includes assistance for food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care.

Pursuant to the internal Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC“) e-mail below, it is important to note that IRCC does not consider subsidized housing to be social assistance.

PROBLEM SOLVED- took me 10 seconds
Good job Phalos ! Could have more weight if the " e-mail below " that you noted have been shown here. Anyways, look like you have encountered this issue before so I respect your opinion and your research done for my question. I just want to make sure I am within the scope of IRCC rules and beside the issue of Family Reunification, as my wife is the only person who is not with us in Canada as our 3 daughters are already here with me since the 90's. I appreciate both your input Phalos and Canuck78 and looks like I am now on my way to file my application for Sponsorship. Thanks for this forum and meeting nice people like you who are willing to help for an answer !

8115MENARA

Aug 6, 2020
Good job Phalos ! Could have more weight if the " e-mail below " that you noted have been shown here. Anyways, look like you have encountered this issue before so I respect your opinion and your research done for my question. I just want to make sure I am within the scope of IRCC rules and beside the issue of Family Reunification, as my wife is the only person who is not with us in Canada as our 3 daughters are already here with me since the 90's. I appreciate both your input Phalos and Canuck78 and looks like I am now on my way to file my application for Sponsorship. Thanks for this forum and meeting nice people like you who are willing to help for an answer !
Sorry Phalos, I did not read well enough. I just realized that you are quoting the decision about this issue in the website of Lawyer Meurrens which It was affirmed that subsidized housing does not fall in the category of social assistance for reasons so and so.... Thank you so much Phalos for this big time research, should I say Case Closed ?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Sorry Phalos, I did not read well enough. I just realized that you are quoting the decision about this issue in the website of Lawyer Meurrens which It was affirmed that subsidized housing does not fall in the category of social assistance for reasons so and so.... Thank you so much Phalos for this big time research, should I say Case Closed ?
Yep, good luck to you and see you around the forum, we gonna be here for a while it seems...

Oct 28, 2021
I came with my husband to Edmonton Alberta and I believe I was dependent as I came with him on same date. After few years we had some issues so I went to shelter and stayed with my son for 6 months at second stage housing which is considered as social assistance. I also used legal aids to initiate my divorce application which I took back. I completely believe that since I was dependent my husband is not suppose to payback as he is sponsoring his parents. If my thinking is correct should he make self declaration of his situation in the immigration file or not ? Please advise.

GraceW

Aug 24, 2022
Hello, Anybody has idea about OESP? It's a small credit on hydro bills.. I am so worried about this.
I also wonder if anyone knows the OESP, Ontario Electricity Support Program is considered as social assistance. It depends the number of people in a houshold and the total income and provide vary amount of credit to hydro bill monthly.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
I also wonder if anyone knows the OESP, Ontario Electricity Support Program is considered as social assistance. It depends the number of people in a houshold and the total income and provide vary amount of credit to hydro bill monthly.
no its not. Social assistance is through Ontario Works.

EricJav99

Oct 10, 2022
Hello
I have managed to sponsor my grandmother and she now has her PR. She has declined in health and needs to go into a subsidized Long Term Care facility here in BC - does anyone have any experience or know if this is considered 'social assistance' as part of the sponsorship agreement? Many thanks for helping out in this matter.

Last edited: