+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What info does the border have on you?

jvid23

Star Member
Nov 30, 2016
Recently arrived back in Canada after a couple of weeks away and got a 6 month visitor visa. To get this I left my boyfriend out of the picture (messages, photos etc were deleted) cause we are applying for a common law visa for me but last time I tried to do a border run and he was with me the security/border guy told me that it was a bad idea to show that I have a relationship here as they understand I am trying to become a resident, and wont wanna give me a visitor visa.
So when I arrived this time and he was looking at my details on the computer he asked "are you still with your boyfriend"
I declined. But I am wondering if he could have put a note in my document about what I said, and if I apply for common law that will get me in trouble?

Hope this makes sense
Thanks

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Well, you definitely shouldn't have lied, but it's done now. I assume you are American, so what you received was a visitor record not a visa. I'm doubtful it will affect you, but you never know. I'm actually surprised he didn't press the subject, like, "where are you staying" type of questions.

Anyways, this kind of thing would be hard to prove even if the guard did put it in a file. Pretty creepy they keep those kind of records on us, ug.

Just don't lie again!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CBSA is an arm of the Immigration and Public Safety ministries.

As such, they use GCMS for nearly all conversations they have. Anything you say in casual conversation or interview is recorded in GCMS.

CIC uses GCMS for all of its operations. As part of your PR application process, they check CAIPS (old system) and GCMS for any information, like you described.

Unfortunately, no one can say for sure what effect your admission may have. It was technically misrepresentation, and could get you an exclusion order.

So as Aquakitty suggests, don't do this again. If you're doing border runs, look up and be prepared for questions relating to dual intent.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
profiler said:
CBSA is an arm of the Immigration and Public Safety ministries.

As such, they use GCMS for nearly all conversations they have. Anything you say in casual conversation or interview is recorded in GCMS.

CIC uses GCMS for all of its operations. As part of your PR application process, they check CAIPS (old system) and GCMS for any information, like you described.

Unfortunately, no one can say for sure what effect your admission may have. It was technically misrepresentation, and could get you an exclusion order.

So as Aquakitty suggests, don't do this again. If you're doing border runs, look up and be prepared for questions relating to dual intent.
How are they recording it, out of curiosity? When I've done my last few crossings by Greyhound, they're pushing us through quickly and I know neither of the agents I spoke with made any indication of entering information into a computer or writing anything down, and as soon as they were finished talking to me, they immediately moved on to the next person in line without stopping to do anything. I haven't even seen them consulting a screen either time, or actively scanning my passport like they do on the U.S. side when I'm returning home. They simply had it in their hand while they chatted with me at the counter.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
danawhitaker said:
How are they recording it, out of curiosity? When I've done my last few crossings by Greyhound, they're pushing us through quickly and I know neither of the agents I spoke with made any indication of entering information into a computer or writing anything down, and as soon as they were finished talking to me, they immediately moved on to the next person in line without stopping to do anything. I haven't even seen them consulting a screen either time, or actively scanning my passport like they do on the U.S. side when I'm returning home. They simply had it in their hand while they chatted with me at the counter.
I think they keep the information if they send you to secondary check.
I ordered my notes a while back and i never seen any info related to the coversations i had with cbsa in my notes.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Conversations where they type something in would be my guess. You can order the border notes I believe, if you wanted to see them.

jvid23

Star Member
Nov 30, 2016
Taxed said:
I think they keep the information if they send you to secondary check.
I ordered my notes a while back and i never seen any info related to the coversations i had with cbsa in my notes.
Oh sweet, how do you order them and do you have to pay for it?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
jvid23 said:
Oh sweet, how do you order them and do you have to pay for it?
I believe only Canadian citzens and residents can request them. But: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html

SaskinSeoul

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 2017
LANDED..........
June 2017
jvid23 said:
Recently arrived back in Canada after a couple of weeks away and got a 6 month visitor visa. To get this I left my boyfriend out of the picture (messages, photos etc were deleted) cause we are applying for a common law visa for me but last time I tried to do a border run and he was with me the security/border guy told me that it was a bad idea to show that I have a relationship here as they understand I am trying to become a resident, and wont wanna give me a visitor visa.
So when I arrived this time and he was looking at my details on the computer he asked "are you still with your boyfriend"
I declined. But I am wondering if he could have put a note in my document about what I said, and if I apply for common law that will get me in trouble?

Hope this makes sense
Thanks
Worst case scenario:

Probably they terminated any withstanding application. You declined information about your boyfriend so they assumed you broke up and archived all applications.

Amarpreetd

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
SaskinSeoul said:
Worst case scenario:

Probably they terminated any withstanding application. You declined information about your boyfriend so they assumed you broke up and archived all applications.
i doubt it....worst case cic will send chance her to explain her position.......

jvid23

Star Member
Nov 30, 2016
SaskinSeoul said:
Worst case scenario:

We havent applied yet :)