+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what if Only one person in family attends the oath ceremony and others miss out

AYZ

Jun 16, 2016
Hi

We are family of 6 (2 adults and 4 children under the age of 14 years), we had passed our citizenship test and interview in January and were just waiting for oath date. Currently we are out of country as we had to travel in emergency on February 28th 2017.

Knowing the procedure we called CIC office and also sent a letter through registered mail (revived by CIC on March 1st 2017) informing CIC of our unavailability for oath between the march 1st to March 31st 2017. Strangely when I checked my online status few days back it shows that CIC has issued a letter dated March 13th 2017 inviting our family for oath on March 30th 2017.

As I have confirmed ticket for march 31st for family of 6, it is costing me 5000 dollars extra to change the dates even for couple of days.

I was just thinking atleast i should change my ticket and attend the oath ceremony the mom can come with the kids as per scheduled date and have their oath on a later date to be given by CIC.

My question is

How they should give an oath date when it is clearly informed of the unavailability

and second most important question , as there are few days left, if I only go and attend the oath ceremony, should I be able to apply the for the passport at-least for myself ????? ( Becoz my PR card is expiring on April 24th 2017).

I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Regards.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
AYZ said:
Hi

We are family of 6 (2 adults and 4 children under the age of 14 years), we had passed our citizenship test and interview in January and were just waiting for oath date. Currently we are out of country as we had to travel in emergency on February 28th 2017.

Knowing the procedure we called CIC office and also sent a letter through registered mail (revived by CIC on March 1st 2017) informing CIC of our unavailability for oath between the march 1st to March 31st 2017. Strangely when I checked my online status few days back it shows that CIC has issued a letter dated March 13th 2017 inviting our family for oath on March 30th 2017.

As I have confirmed ticket for march 31st for family of 6, it is costing me 5000 dollars extra to change the dates even for couple of days.

I was just thinking atleast i should change my ticket and attend the oath ceremony the mom can come with the kids as per scheduled date and have their oath on a later date to be given by CIC.

My question is

How they should give an oath date when it is clearly informed of the unavailability

and second most important question , as there are few days left, if I only go and attend the oath ceremony, should I be able to apply the for the passport at-least for myself ????? ( Becoz my PR card is expiring on April 24th 2017).

I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Regards.
Did you send letter to local CIC office or to Nova Scotia? Ideally it should have been sent to the local office. Did you submit the IRCC web form as well?
I am not sure if few people are allowed to attend the oath if applied as a family.

As per the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/ceremony/oath.asp
Read the section "Failure to appear for the Oath"

You can apply for passport after 2 business days of attending oath.

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi

Only adults and kids over 14 years old are required to attend and take oath; however, kids under 14 can attend the ceremony--it is optional for them.

Good luck

AYZ

Jun 16, 2016
I had sent out the letter to the local office (Scarborough ON) and have also filled out the web form but no response at all.

I am still looking for the answer that whether I can attend the oath alone n March 30th and the remaining family can attend later.

Regards.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
AYZ said:
I had sent out the letter to the local office (Scarborough ON) and have also filled out the web form but no response at all.

I am still looking for the answer that whether I can attend the oath alone n March 30th and the remaining family can attend later.

Regards.
Try this number to contact cic call centre: 613-944-4000. I am not sure if this is the right one or if it will work. Prefix the international dialing format in front of the number. If this does not work, try downloading magicjack application on your smartphone and try the 1-888-242-2100 number and see if it works.

Also do you have any proof like copy of the letter, tracking# etc for not to schedule the oath during that time? That way you may try to convince cic that the letter was sent in order to not schedule the oath during that time and request to reconsider rescheduling of oath.

juni

Jul 2, 2009
I have the same situation. I am on family vacation back home & received a letter to attend Oath ceremony on April 06. I have already purchased return air tickets to be back to Canada on April 10th. It would be difficult to change flight reservation for whole family as it is gonna cost me huge money.
I wrote an explanation letter with proof of return air tickets & hotel reservation to CIC but haven`t heard anything from them.
I also filled out web form.

AYZ, have you heard anything from CIC?

Juni

D miller

Feb 22, 2017
juni said:
I have the same situation. I am on family vacation back home & received a letter to attend Oath ceremony on April 06. I have already purchased return air tickets to be back to Canada on April 10th. It would be difficult to change flight reservation for whole family as it is gonna cost me huge money.
I wrote an explanation letter with proof of return air tickets & hotel reservation to CIC but haven`t heard anything from them.
I also filled out web form.
Same here I called them put my date in march 27th to April 7th after calling 2 days later I got the oath notice on ecas..
AYZ, have you heard anything from CIC?

Juni