+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if my Visa Waiver expires before I hear about extension of Visitor Visa?

soozy777

Jun 8, 2009
I applied to extend my stay in Canada as a visitor (Temporary Residents Visa) a few days ago, I am currently visiting my boyfriend on a UK six month Visa Waiver which expires the end of April 2010. We are planning to apply for Common-Law Sponsorship and Permanent Residency after a twelve month period together, hence the request to stay.
I checked on the CIC website the length of time it takes to process the applications, approximately 55 days, which is very close to my return date to the UK.
What I'm unsure about is if I haven't heard anything from Immigration before my return date will I have to leave Canada by then, or will I be able to remain here until I have had a reply from them?
I cannot find anything on the CIC web page that helps with this matter and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
soozy777 said:
I applied to extend my stay in Canada as a visitor (Temporary Residents Visa) a few days ago, I am currently visiting my boyfriend on a UK six month Visa Waiver which expires the end of April 2010. We are planning to apply for Common-Law Sponsorship and Permanent Residency after a twelve month period together, hence the request to stay.
I checked on the CIC website the length of time it takes to process the applications, approximately 55 days, which is very close to my return date to the UK.
What I'm unsure about is if I haven't heard anything from Immigration before my return date will I have to leave Canada by then, or will I be able to remain here until I have had a reply from them?
I cannot find anything on the CIC web page that helps with this matter and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks
You are on implied visitor status until you hear from CPC.