+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if my Canadian mother became a US Citizen?

CTLAWYER

Aug 6, 2019
My mother was born in Canada in 1949, emigrated with her family to the US and then became a US citizen in the early 60's. I was born in 1974 and my kids were born in 2002 and 2006. Is it possible that both my children and I can claim Canadian citizenship through my mother? I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mother was born in Canada in 1949, emigrated with her family to the US and then became a US citizen in the early 60's. I was born in 1974 and my kids were born in 2002 and 2006. Is it possible that both my children and I can claim Canadian citizenship through my mother? I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and guidance.
You have a claim to Canadian citizenship. Your children do not as the second generation born abroad.

CTLAWYER

Aug 6, 2019
You have a claim to Canadian citizenship. Your children do not as the second generation born abroad.
Thank you very much for your response. I'm just starting out looking into this, but I read somewhere that the number of generations wasn't limited as long as they were born before 2009; is that inaccurate or no longer the case? Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for your response. I'm just starting out looking into this, but I read somewhere that the number of generations wasn't limited as long as they were born before 2009; is that inaccurate or no longer the case? Thanks again!
That was until Bill C37 came into place. Now it's limited to one generation born abroad (which is you).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, Scylla. Very helpful, though disappointing.
If Canadian citizenship for your children is a priority, you can still secure this for them. However this will require you to make some commitments to Canada in exchange. It would involve you applying to be recognized as a Canadian citizen, then moving to Canada to live there for a period of time and sponsoring your children for permanent residency - after which they could apply for citizenship. You would need to do this before they turn 22 (this is based on current rules - this could drop back down to 19 years old at any time).

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
If Canadian citizenship for your children is a priority, you can still secure this for them. However this will require you to make some commitments to Canada in exchange. It would involve you applying to be recognized as a Canadian citizen, then moving to Canada to live there for a period of time and sponsoring your children for permanent residency - after which they could apply for citizenship. You would need to do this before they turn 22 (this is based on current rules - this could drop back down to 19 years old at any time).
We live in a day and age when people don’t really want to make much effort , so I doubt any of it will be done ...

CTLAWYER

Aug 6, 2019
Thank you for your note. I’m not in a position to make that commitment at this time. For me, claiming my citizenship would be helpful for work and for travel to and from family in Canada as well as potentially buying property there. My children are interested in Canadian universities and studying there. Citizenship would be very helpful in that regard as well.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Thank you for your note. I’m not in a position to make that commitment at this time. For me, claiming my citizenship would be helpful for work and for travel to and from family in Canada as well as potentially buying property there. My children are interested in Canadian universities and studying there. Citizenship would be very helpful in that regard as well.
You can just apply for your citizenship certificate now, and worry about where your children want to go to school later :).

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah, get your own citizenship. You never know when rules can change. Your kids may or may not be able to get citizenship later, but you should go ahead and get it.

CTLAWYER

Aug 6, 2019
You can just apply for your citizenship certificate now, and worry about where your children want to go to school later :).
Yes, of course; I plan to do that very shortly. I was just trying to provide some extra color as to my motivation. Thank you for your response.

CTLAWYER

Aug 6, 2019
Yeah, get your own citizenship. You never know when rules can change. Your kids may or may not be able to get citizenship later, but you should go ahead and get it.
Will-do! Thanks for your input. Did you go through a similar process? Was it difficult? Lengthy?