+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if marriage status changes during application

T_UK

May 28, 2019
I am about to begin separation process with my partner. Currently I am legally married, what if I begin the express entry profile and part way my divorce becomes final and legal. Will this impact my application in any way? What is the best way to go about this?

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
I am about to begin separation process with my partner. Currently I am legally married, what if I begin the express entry profile and part way my divorce becomes final and legal. Will this impact my application in any way? What is the best way to go about this?
There will be no impact on your profile.

When creating the profile:
1. If you are married but the separation process is underway : Mention that you are married, and applying as individual and that your emancipation process is underdway.
2. If you are seperated by the time you create your express entry profile : Mention that you are divorced and single applicant.

In both cases, you will get the same points under CRS.

T_UK

May 28, 2019
There will be no impact on your profile.

When creating the profile:
1. If you are married but the separation process is underway : Mention that you are married, and applying as individual and that your emancipation process is underdway.
2. If you are seperated by the time you create your express entry profile : Mention that you are divorced and single applicant.

In both cases, you will get the same points under CRS.
What if in my case you are currently living separately, the divorce process has not officially begun and you care still legally married. The intention is only I will immigrate to Canada. Is there a section to state just i will plan to go and not any one else? I'm just wary of not getting disqualified for submitting incorrect information.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What if in my case you are currently living separately, the divorce process has not officially begun and you care still legally married. The intention is only I will immigrate to Canada. Is there a section to state just i will plan to go and not any one else? I'm just wary of not getting disqualified for submitting incorrect information.
You are legally separated. You will need to explain this in the app. It is better to get the divorce going and submit proof of that to IRCC.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
If you are living separately but not divorced, you would still be considered married and if you don't declare it that would be a misrepresentation.

If the emancipation process has started, you can apply as a single applicant and provide additional documents that suggest that the emancipation process is underway.

If divorce is to happen, suggestion to you would be to start the process and get divorced and then apply, it would make things much easier.