+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if I updated my PR SIN number with my employer but they didn't do it for tax purposes?

CelaLopez

Star Member
Jan 25, 2018
Hello.

I became PR the past year, so after getting my SIN number I updated it with my former employer.

Now, I received a 2022 T4 with my old SIN number on it. I wrote them about it to know if it was just a "typo" or what but they haven't responded yet. To make things more difficult, I'm in my home country and unfortunately, I can't go back to Canada any time soon to attend to this issue in person with them.

I worked all of 2022 with them and half of the year "theoretically" under my new SIN number but what if they used the old SIN number all those months for tax deductions?

o_O

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
"SINs that begin with the number 9 are issued to temporary residents who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, such as foreign students or individuals on work visas. These SINs have an expiry date."
Did your old sin started with 9

CelaLopez

Star Member
Jan 25, 2018
Hey, Thanks for replying. Indeed. My SIN started with 9. I've been working in CA for the past 5 years and last year I became PR.

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
So if your sin changed in the middle of year so what should be solution?
Call cra help line, also request your employer to change your number for 2023