+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens to Philippine Passports and PR cards Once Canadian Citizenship Oath is Taken

jenjai

Mar 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

Hope you all are well.

I am writing to inquire about the validity of the Philippine passports (or any passports) and PR cards once take the Oath of Citizenship is taken.

According to my research, I should receive a ceremony notice within 3 months after passing the test (January 22nd this year). Unfortunately, my family and I booked a flight back to the Philippines for a vacation on June 25th until July 25th. On that case, say we get a notice on April or May, then take the oath, what will become of the Philippine passports and PR cards then?

I hope that you can assist me with my concern. May you all have a great evening.

Thanks,

Jenjai

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Hope you all are well.

I am writing to inquire about the validity of the Philippine passports (or any passports) and PR cards once take the Oath of Citizenship is taken.

According to my research, I should receive a ceremony notice within 3 months after passing the test (January 22nd this year). Unfortunately, my family and I booked a flight back to the Philippines for a vacation on June 25th until July 25th. On that case, say we get a notice on April or May, then take the oath, what will become of the Philippine passports and PR cards then?

I hope that you can assist me with my concern. May you all have a great evening.

Thanks,

Jenjai
Nothing will happen to your Philippines passport.

Your PR card is taken from you at the oath ceremony.

jenjai

Mar 1, 2019
Will I still be able to use my Philippine passport even after the oath? I have US Visa attached to it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Will I still be able to use my Philippine passport even after the oath? I have US Visa attached to it.
Yes, but NOT to board a flight to Canada. For that, you will require a Canadian passport. The PR card will be destroyed.

Reactions: foodie69

jenjai

Mar 1, 2019
thank you so much guys for the quick responses. I really appreciate you time and kindness in replying to my thread

thanks a bunch,

Jenjai

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You might as well get a Canadian passport because you don't require a US visa in that case.

Once you undergo the oath for Canadian citizenship, you automatically renounce your Philippine citizenship...you will have to apply to retain your Philippine citizenship to become a dual citizen. It is not implied.

http://immigration.gov.ph/services/citizenship-retention-and-aquisition/application-for-retention-re-acquisition-of-phil-citizenship

Also note that you are only allowed dual citizenship if you or your parents were born in the Philippines.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/dual-citizenship-philippines

I also daresay, you're better off using a foreign passport to go to the Philippines or leave...lines are much shorter at immigration both inbound and outbound for foreign passport holders than for locals. Even if the rest of your family has Philippine passports, they can tag along with you at the foreigners' line. #lifehack

Last edited:

jenjai

Mar 1, 2019
hello bellaluna,

thank you so much for the helpful informations you imparted.

i really appreciate it.

you guys are awesome!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My initial answer, based on the fact that Canada allows dual citizenship....
Yes, but NOT to board a flight to Canada. For that, you will require a Canadian passport. The PR card will be destroyed.
So, in fact, the automatic answer to the question is actually, "No"?

ydd0713

Nov 5, 2018
My initial answer, based on the fact that Canada allows dual citizenship....

So, in fact, the automatic answer to the question is actually, "No"?
Hi. I wanna know the answer to this. So once we take an oath for Canadian citizenship, we automatically renounce our Philippine citizenship which means that we cannot use our Philippine passport even in entering the Philippines? Is this right? I asked this because I have flight on March 30 going to the Philippines and my Canadian passport haven't arrived yet. I am afraid it wont come before my flight schedule and I don't want to pay for rebooking fees if I have the choice of using my Phil passport. My friend will send my Canadian passport to me in the Philippines when it arrives, so I will use Canadian passport when I board coming back here. Anyone has idea with this matter?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hi. I wanna know the answer to this. So once we take an oath for Canadian citizenship, we automatically renounce our Philippine citizenship which means that we cannot use our Philippine passport even in entering the Philippines? Is this right? I asked this because I have flight on March 30 going to the Philippines and my Canadian passport haven't arrived yet. I am afraid it wont come before my flight schedule and I don't want to pay for rebooking fees if I have the choice of using my Phil passport. My friend will send my Canadian passport to me in the Philippines when it arrives, so I will use Canadian passport when I board coming back here. Anyone has idea with this matter?
Hello! We automatically renounce our Philippine citizenship which means that we cannot use our Philippine passport even in entering the Philippines. - this is true.
When did you apply for your Canadian passport? Hopefully it will arrive before your flight.

• Sad
Reactions: QueenPeaches

ydd0713

Nov 5, 2018
Hello! We automatically renounce our Philippine citizenship which means that we cannot use our Philippine passport even in entering the Philippines. - this is true.
When did you apply for your Canadian passport? Hopefully it will arrive before your flight.
Thanks for you reply. I applied last Feb 22. I am hoping it will arrive this week to give me some peace of mind.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Thanks for you reply. I applied last Feb 22. I am hoping it will arrive this week to give me some peace of mind.
Almost a month now. I didn't know it will take that long... I thought it's like 10 business days..

Jflo3987

Dec 21, 2021
thank you so much guys for the quick responses. I really appreciate you time and kindness in replying to my thread

thanks a bunch,

Jenjai
Hello @jenjai, hope everything's well with you and your family. I have the same concern. We are bound to go to the Philippines 2 days after our oath taking. We're you able to use your Philippines passport upon arriving in Manila after taking the oath for citizenship? Thank you.