+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if by the time your working visa expires you are 31

Jun 28, 2020
I am a British citizen and by the time my 2 year Canadian work visa expires I will be 31 (age limit for uk citizens to apply is 30). Can I apply for an extension or second visa whilst being over the age limit? If not can they make me leave when Covid is stopping travel or will I have to return to the UK?

Because of unemployment in Canada due to Covid are they less likely to allow foreign workers to stay past their working visa?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a British citizen and by the time my 2 year Canadian work visa expires I will be 31 (age limit for uk citizens to apply is 30). Can I apply for an extension or second visa whilst being over the age limit? If not can they make me leave when Covid is stopping travel or will I have to return to the UK?

Because of unemployment in Canada due to Covid are they less likely to allow foreign workers to stay past their working visa?

Thanks
The UK IEC program only allows one participation. Even if you were under 30, you would not be able to extend or apply for a second one.

If you want to stay and work longer, you will have to meet the requirements for a new work permit. One option would be to have your employer apply for an LMIA so that you can change your status to a closed work permit linked to that specific employer. There are a few other options. For example, if you qualify to apply for PR under Express Entry, are selected out of the pool since you have sufficient points (i.e. receive ITA) and submit your complete application, you will then qualify for a bridging open work permit.

Jun 28, 2020
Thank you so much for replying. You obviously know your stuff. I was posting in regards to a person I know in that situation so whilst I'm not too attached to the outcome its good to be able to have that knowledge to share.