+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if an international student do one part-time semester in middle?

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
Hello everyone, I am new to here.

I just graduated from one university in May 2019 and considered to apply a PGWPP in the future. Would you mind taking sometime to look at my situation below? Thank you.

I studied chemical engineering program (bachelor's degree) started from 2015 Winter. In 2016 Winter term, I only registered for two courses due to three reasons: 1. My academic term started from winter and I was not allowed to choose some higher level courses due to pre-requisite courses that I had not done in previous Fall term. 2. I withdrawn one course from three because I found it difficult to follow. 3. I planed to transfer to other universities and I wanted to maintain my CGPA. So in 2016 winter term I was considered to be a part time student. It turned out that I did not transfer to other universities and stayed in the orginal to complete my degree in 4 years with CGPA 3.6. In 2018 Fall I registered 7 courses due to making up some previous courses. Now I will be a master's student in another university and I will keep myself registered as a full time student until I graduate.

I would like your opinions in my situation here, when I graduate, will I be eligible to apply for the 3-year Post-Graduation Work Permit?

Just also want to add, I have extended my study permit twice during my stay.

Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I just graduated from one university in May 2019 and considered to apply a PGWPP in the future. Would you mind taking sometime to look at my situation below? Thank you.

I studied chemical engineering program (bachelor's degree) started from 2015 Winter. In 2016 Winter term, I only registered for two courses due to three reasons: 1. My academic term started from winter and I was not allowed to choose some higher level courses due to pre-requisite courses that I had not done in previous Fall term. 2. I withdrawn one course from three because I found it difficult to follow. 3. I planed to transfer to other universities and I wanted to maintain my CGPA. So in 2016 winter term I was considered to be a part time student. It turned out that I did not transfer to other universities and stayed in the orginal to complete my degree in 4 years with CGPA 3.6. In 2018 Fall I registered 7 courses due to making up some previous courses. Now I will be a master's student in another university and I will keep myself registered as a full time student until I graduate.

I would like your opinions in my situation here, when I graduate, will I be eligible to apply for the 3-year Post-Graduation Work Permit?

Technically your PGWP should be refused since you must be a full time student throughout your studies and are only allowed to be part time in the last term. Time to time we still see people approved even if they had a part time semester in the middle of their studies. It will be up to the officer who reviews your file - so impossible for any of us to say what will happen. However by the rules, you should be refused.

photon23

Jul 29, 2019

The IRCC website says they will allow your last semester to be part time, but perhaps you will be fine if you were part time for one semestter in the middle of your program. However I can't say for certain if they'll approve your PGWP or not.

I have a related question for you though. I am in a similar situation as you and I'm planning on doing my Masters as well. Did you need to apply for a new study permit for your Masters program at your new university? Or did you simply extend/amend your current study permit?

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
The IRCC website says they will allow your last semester to be part time, but perhaps you will be fine if you were part time for one semestter in the middle of your program. However I can't say for certain if they'll approve your PGWP or not.

I have a related question for you though. I am in a similar situation as you and I'm planning on doing my Masters as well. Did you need to apply for a new study permit for your Masters program at your new university? Or did you simply extend/amend your current study permit?
Yes you do need a new permit since it's a different level program.

kingvis

Jul 31, 2019
Technically your PGWP should be refused since you must be a full time student throughout your studies and are only allowed to be part time in the last term. Time to time we still see people approved even if they had a part time semester in the middle of their studies. It will be up to the officer who reviews your file - so impossible for any of us to say what will happen. However by the rules, you should be refused.
What about I let my school to write me an explanation letter?