+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what family ties means

Qiaoliya

Sep 1, 2015
hello
They rejected my visa due to lack of family ties in canada and country of residence, and i don't actually know what that means.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That means you did not provide enough information or evidence of your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence (which is China). For China, did you show information relating to your enrolling of an engineering course until 2018?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the benefit of contributors pertinent posts carried across from initial thread.

Qiaoliya - Re:visitor visa declined due to lack of family ties (« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:23:30 am »)

hello,i am a nigerian but i am presently a student in china and i applied for visitors visa to visit canada during my summer holiday.But my visa was declined due to "no proof of family ties to canada and country of residence.
my aunty is inviting me.she is a canada citizen and she is the one to sponsor my trip throughout my stay in canada. i am a student therefore, i have no assets,property or huge amount in my account.
please how do i prove my family ties in my next application. thanks

Msafiri - Re:visitor visa declined due to lack of family ties (« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50:38 am »)

1. What proof did you provide that she is your aunt?
2. What proof did your aunt provide to you for the invite - is there an invite letter with supporting documents as to her status and finances?
3. How did she get Canadian status?
4. How long have you studied in China? i.e. when did you leave Nigeria
5. When does your course end?
6. What type of course is it?
7. Where are your family based - presumably Nigeria? Do you have a spouse/kids? Why aren't your own parents sponsoring this trip?
8. What is the total cost of this visit and why are you visiting - to see the sites, hang out?

Visa officer is saying you won't come back once you land in Canada...on paper you have a weak case but fill out the answers above it will be useful to detail your options.

Qiaoliya - my reply (« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »)

1. i don't know what to provide to proof that she is my aunt..could you please tell me?
2. yes she sent an invitation letter,her bank detail and balance, her citizenship documents, her passport including her husbands
3. she has been in canada for a long time
4. iv studied for almost a year, i left nigeria the same period
5. my couse end by 2018
6. petrochemical engineering
7. my family base in nigeria, i have no spouse nor kids, my parent can't sponsor the trip because they are not in canada.
8. i am visiting canada because i would like to spend sometime with my aunt and her family and to spend my holiday in canada.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Well how does CIC know you are a relative as claimed - you need to show a birth certificate each for both your aunt and your parent who is her sibling showing they share the same parentage. You then need to show your birth certificate showing your parents names one of whom will be the sibling described above. So you need 3 birth certificates!

2. Well that indicates its a genuine invite.

4,5,6,7 - Show that you are a student living in a country that's not your home country (so you've shown leaving home is not an issue for you) that has no strong family ties that compel you to return home i.e. no spouse or kids. You have little in the way of funds and are relying on an unproven relative to sponsor your visit. The visit likely to the visa post in not clearly defined - where will you visit if its tourism? Did you detail points of interest e.g theme park A, Museum B etc? The visa post will also check the total outlay of the visit also taking into account the sponsors income then review whether this makes any sense. E.g if the trip is US$ 4K but your aunt makes $20K a year and has $5K in her bank account who spends all their money inviting a relative to Canada? Try re-submit with the birth certificates you may get lucky.

Qiaoliya

Sep 1, 2015
steaky said:
That means you did not provide enough information or evidence of your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence (which is China). For China, did you show information relating to your enrolling of an engineering course until 2018?
yes i did show them my admission letter

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Qiaoliya said:
yes i did show them my admission letter
Admission letter is not enough. You need to show them that you would be attending school (course) through 2018.

Qiaoliya

Sep 1, 2015
steaky said:
Admission letter is not enough. You need to show them that you would be attending school (course) through 2018.
Please what if my invitee is not my direct aunty.that is she doesn't bear thesame surname with either of my parents. How do you think i can proof my relationship with her. What documents can I present for family ties to her

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Qiaoliya said:
Please what if my invitee is not my direct aunty.that is she doesn't bear thesame surname with either of my parents. How do you think i can proof my relationship with her. What documents can I present for family ties to her
It's going to be complicated....

Btw, can't you apply on your own without an invitation letter from Canada? Or apply with your dad/mom who are supporting you to come to Canada for visiting?