+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What duration work permit will I get if I do two courses with work in between?

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Hello,

I am applying Master's or Diploma in a Canadian university for a 1 year course in Computer Science.
After a 1 year course, I will get 1 year PGWP.

However, if I am unable to secure a job for 1 year, I plan on doing another 1 year course on Electronics because I need that in my future career as well.

After my second 1 year course, will I again get 1 year PGWP or three year PGWP as I have done a total of two years of course?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,

I am applying Master's or Diploma in a Canadian university for a 1 year course in Computer Science.
After a 1 year course, I will get 1 year PGWP.

However, if I am unable to secure a job for 1 year, I plan on doing another 1 year course on Electronics because I need that in my future career as well.

After my second 1 year course, will I again get 1 year PGWP or three year PGWP as I have done a total of two years of course?
A PGWP is a once only opportunity so if you complete a one year course then apply for a PGWP to work for a year then you cannot apply again for another PGWP even if you complete another course.

To get a 3 year PGWP you either need to complete 2 x 1 year courses that total 2 years or more back to back, or a 2year course or a masters that is 16 plus months.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html

Reactions: lolcocks

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
A PGWP is a once only opportunity so if you complete a one year course then apply for a PGWP to work for a year then you cannot apply again for another PGWP even if you complete another course.

To get a 3 year PGWP you either need to complete 2 x 1 year courses that total 2 years or more back to back, or a 2year course or a masters that is 16 plus months.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html

Oh I see. So it's basically a once in a life time opportunity.

So it would be better to do a 2 year master's program.

Answer me this, am I allowed to work during my two year studies?

I ask this because I am 27, by the time I leave, I will be 28, and by the time I graduate, I will be 30 or 31. It's my age to be working and not studying. I should not be relying on my parent's money or loans at this age....

visaaaa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Oh I see. So it's basically a once in a life time opportunity.

So it would be better to do a 2 year master's program.

Answer me this, am I allowed to work during my two year studies?

I ask this because I am 27, by the time I leave, I will be 28, and by the time I graduate, I will be 30 or 31. It's my age to be working and not studying. I should not be relying on my parent's money or loans at this age....
yes you can work part time when you are studying (20 hours a week) and during breaks and summer you can work full time. Some programs also have coops and interships which pay you to work in the area of study, But keep in mind that due to covid19 the unemployment rate in canada is very high and will take a couple years to recover thus finding a part time job will be very hard but no impossible. Also employers also prefer to hire people with canadian experience

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
yes you can work part time when you are studying (20 hours a week) and during breaks and summer you can work full time. Some programs also have coops and interships which pay you to work in the area of study, But keep in mind that due to covid19 the unemployment rate in canada is very high and will take a couple years to recover thus finding a part time job will be very hard but no impossible. Also employers also prefer to hire people with canadian experience

Thank you! You have cleared many of my doubts. I most likely will go for two year masters.

Two final questions.
  1. Does working part time or full time during the studies count towards my Canadian Experience?
  2. Does internship during a co-op program count towards my Canadian Experience?

visaaaa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Thank you! You have cleared many of my doubts. I most likely will go for two year masters.

Two final questions.
  1. Does working part time or full time during the studies count towards my Canadian Experience?
  2. Does internship during a co-op program count towards my Canadian Experience?
Sadly the answer is no to both questions. But keep in my mind that even though both dont count it will make it much easier to find a job when you graduate and is on PGWP.
Also definitely go for a 2 year program because a 1 year PGWP is useless because it is impossible to find a job get hired and work a complete year within 1 year. Getting a job usually takes 3 months and Hiring processes usually take about a month thus you will only have 8 months of full time work experience and wont qualify for Canada experience class.
Also in 2 years as the world economy recovers there will be more jobs and opprtunites and finding a good job will be easier. Also a lot of people will tell you to go to colleges in the middle on nowhere dont do that find a college that inside a city or nearby

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Sadly the answer is no to both questions. But keep in my mind that even though both dont count it will make it much easier to find a job when you graduate and is on PGWP.
Also definitely go for a 2 year program because a 1 year PGWP is useless because it is impossible to find a job get hired and work a complete year within 1 year. Getting a job usually takes 3 months and Hiring processes usually take about a month thus you will only have 8 months of full time work experience and wont qualify for Canada experience class.
Also in 2 years as the world economy recovers there will be more jobs and opprtunites and finding a good job will be easier. Also a lot of people will tell you to go to colleges in the middle on nowhere dont do that find a college that inside a city or nearby

Thank you so much kind sir, this has cleared almost all of my doubts.

I hope you don't mind me asking two more questions as you seem experienced.
  1. Any reason why you said not to find a college or university in the middle of no where? Will it affect job opportunities?
  2. I plan on starting a startup, my father already has a well established business in India, I would like to add IoT into the mix and it becomes a really profitable business. Can I start my own business on a work permit or do I need a PR? It will be a small business, 10 people at most. It's a small business so I cannot apply for the business program.

visaaaa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Thank you so much kind sir, this has cleared almost all of my doubts.

I hope you don't mind me asking two more questions as you seem experienced.
  1. Any reason why you said not to find a college or university in the middle of no where? Will it affect job opportunities?
  2. I plan on starting a startup, my father already has a well established business in India, I would like to add IoT into the mix and it becomes a really profitable business. Can I start my own business on a work permit or do I need a PR? It will be a small business, 10 people at most. It's a small business so I cannot apply for the business program.
1. yes, employers are more willing to hire employees who studied in a university or college in the city because they will have past experiences with employees that also studied in that university or college. also finding part time job is much much easier in a big city. Also most Canadian cities are very diverse and thus employers wont discriminate.
2.No, u cant start a business on work permit but u can be a part owner . For example you can team up with other Canadian citizens and start a business but you can only be a minority owner( less than 50 percent shares in the company). But in you case if you parents have a successful company and want to start a subsidy in Canada that focuses on IoT it will be possible and you can be an employee(even CEO) with partial control of the subsidy. Keep in mind in my experience getting Canadian clients is much harder than getting clients in silicon valley.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
1. yes, employers are more willing to hire employees who studied in a university or college in the city because they will have past experiences with employees that also studied in that university or college. also finding part time job is much much easier in a big city. Also most Canadian cities are very diverse and thus employers wont discriminate.
2.No, u cant start a business on work permit but u can be a part owner . For example you can team up with other Canadian citizens and start a business but you can only be a minority owner( less than 50 percent shares in the company). But in you case if you parents have a successful company and want to start a subsidy in Canada that focuses on IoT it will be possible and you can be an employee(even CEO) with partial control of the subsidy. Keep in mind in my experience getting Canadian clients is much harder than getting clients in silicon valley.

Thank you so much, visaaaa.
With this I can say you have pretty much cleared all my doubts and have given even better advice!

I don't think I will risk partnering up with others for business. Coming from India, me and my father do not have a good experience of partnering with others. Almost all of them stole our ideas and setup their own businesses. I cannot risk the same happening to me in Canada because I will be able to take a financial set back in India, but not in Canada.

Thank you, and I will see you in Canada. :)

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Hello @visaaaa,

I have another question.
There are Master's Programs which are course based, thesis based and co-op based.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to each of these?
Except co-op which will obviously get me an internship.