+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does the new amended Citizenship Act in 2015 means to me?

xbeta

Apr 16, 2014
What does the new "amended Citizenship Act in 2015" means to me?

I have a child who is born outside of Canada (in US) to me (who was a naturalized Canadian citizen since 2000). Can my child still apply and get a certificate of Canada citizenship ?

PS. My older child was born before 2015 and after 2009, and I've already applied and got her Cert of Citizenship + her Canadian passport, but my 2nd child seem to be affected. Can someone shed some lights on this?

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xbeta said:

I have a child who is born outside of Canada (in US) to me (who was a naturalized Canadian citizen since 2000). Can my child still apply and get a certificate of Canada citizenship ?

PS. My older child was born before 2015 and after 2009, and I've already applied and got her Cert of Citizenship + her Canadian passport, but my 2nd child seem to be affected. Can someone shed some lights on this?
Your US born child can also get Canadian citizenship if you apply for cert of citizenship. If the child is under two and you need to come to Canada. Then you can apply for temp passport at Canadian consulate in US or travel as US citizen until he/she gets her citizenship certificate.

xbeta

Apr 16, 2014
chikloo said:
Your US born child can also get Canadian citizenship if you apply for cert of citizenship. If the child is under two and you need to come to Canada. Then you can apply for temp passport at Canadian consulate in US or travel as US citizen until he/she gets her citizenship certificate.
So the new 2015 changes don't apply to my childs (both older and younger children)?

My older one was born on 2013 (before 2015, and after 2009), my younger child is about to be born in US (in few weeks)

Thanks,

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The new citizenship law has no bearing on how the child gains citizenship by descent.

However the law can affect your child since he/she has dual or triple citizenship (depending on your nationality). The child can lose his/her canadian citizenship if the child, as an adult, committed and be convicted of terrorism / treason.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Actually the SCCA does affect citizenship by descent, those provisions already in effect (indeed, deemed to be in effect from the date of the previous legislation, that is, having retroactive effect). Without revisiting those provisions, generally they do not take away the citizenship of anyone but rather clarify some issues and cover some flaws in the previous legislation which did not adequately include some children who were intended to be included.

Which is to say that the new laws probably have no impact on your children. The children of a naturalized Canadian citizen, born to that parent after the parent became a naturalized citizen, are Canadian citizens by descent regardless of where in the world they are born.

(Note: Their children, however, will not be Canadian citizens unless those children are born in Canada, or the other parent is either a naturalized Canadian citizen or was born in Canada.)

xbeta

Apr 16, 2014
dpenabill said:
Actually the SCCA does affect citizenship by descent, those provisions already in effect (indeed, deemed to be in effect from the date of the previous legislation, that is, having retroactive effect). Without revisiting those provisions, generally they do not take away the citizenship of anyone but rather clarify some issues and cover some flaws in the previous legislation which did not adequately include some children who were intended to be included.

Which is to say that the new laws probably have no impact on your children. The children of a naturalized Canadian citizen, born to that parent after the parent became a naturalized citizen, are Canadian citizens by descent regardless of where in the world they are born.

(Note: Their children, however, will not be Canadian citizens unless those children are born in Canada, or the other parent is either a naturalized Canadian citizen or was born in Canada.)
Thanks, I'm clear now!

Jun 18, 2015
xbeta said:

The new citizenship act is all about staying 4 years in the last 6 years that's all

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
patricktoronto said:
The new citizenship act is all about staying 4 years in the last 6 years that's all
Well, it's about quite a bit more than that, but still doesn't apply to the OP.