Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
Dear friends,

I have submitted my application in May. Is it possible to send a letter now and request that my application be expedited?

What is generally considered valid reasoning for such requests? I have received an admission from a school in the US, but I was not able to obtain a student visa from US consulate in Toronto (due to the travel ban issue by US president). Would CIC consider that as a valid reason for expediting my application?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends,

I have submitted my application in May. Is it possible to send a letter now and request that my application be expedited?

What is generally considered valid reasoning for such requests? I have received an admission from a school in the US, but I was not able to obtain a student visa from US consulate in Toronto (due to the travel ban issue by US president). Would CIC consider that as a valid reason for expediting my application?
A school in the US will not qualify as per IRCC guidelines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html :
"To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
  • needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship
Even if these conditions apply to you, we may not be able to process your request urgently. If we do process your request urgently, we may not be able to do it in time to help your situation."

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
A school in the US will not qualify as per IRCC guidelines: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html :
"To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
  • needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship
Even if these conditions apply to you, we may not be able to process your request urgently. If we do process your request urgently, we may not be able to do it in time to help your situation."
Thanks so much for your response and for the link. I understand your point but it seems at the same time that "go to a Canadian school, college or university" is just one example. I really wished there was a thread where people shared their successful reasons for their urgent applications.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much for your response and for the link. I understand your point but it seems at the same time that "go to a Canadian school, college or university" is just one example. I really wished there was a thread where people shared their successful reasons for their urgent applications.
I highlighted that one as you mentioned a school in the US. This topic has been discussed several times here and it seems to be extremely difficult to receive urgent processing.
But if you try I wish you all the best!

Reactions: hamoonExpressEntry

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

I very much concur in this observation:

The simple truth is that there is only one way to find out and that is to submit a request. It doesn't cost anything to do so and the worst that can happen is they say no.
No harm in making the request.

For planning purposes, however, you should know it is very unlikely that your situation will result in expedited processing.

Even in the circumstances specifically listed, urgent processing is entirely at the discretion of IRCC.

As noted by others, anecdotal reports strongly suggest that it is unusual for IRCC to actually grant a request for urgent processing of a citizenship application. Especially when it appears the motive for seeking expedited processing is to facilitate travel abroad (with certain exceptions, such as for persons with no passport who cannot obtain a home country passport, and who have a compelling reason to travel).

It warrants noting that many of the anecdotal reports are, however, based on overly-broad (and to a large extent also erroneous) interpretations of the criteria for urgent processing, so it is no surprise that IRCC has declined to grant urgent processing in most of those reported instances.

Reactions: hamoonExpressEntry

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
I very much concur in this observation:

No harm in making the request.

For planning purposes, however, you should know it is very unlikely that your situation will result in expedited processing.

Even in the circumstances specifically listed, urgent processing is entirely at the discretion of IRCC.

As noted by others, anecdotal reports strongly suggest that it is unusual for IRCC to actually grant a request for urgent processing of a citizenship application. Especially when it appears the motive for seeking expedited processing is to facilitate travel abroad (with certain exceptions, such as for persons with no passport who cannot obtain a home country passport, and who have a compelling reason to travel).

It warrants noting that many of the anecdotal reports are, however, based on overly-broad (and to a large extent also erroneous) interpretations of the criteria for urgent processing, so it is no surprise that IRCC has declined to grant urgent processing in most of those reported instances.
I really appreciate your response dpenabill