+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does "Case Type 56" mean? PGWP extension

w0lfy

Aug 25, 2018
Hi,
I just received my post graduate work permit. I completed 2 years diploma, my passport expires in November, 2018. So i only received PGWP for 3 months instead of 3 years. What does "Case Type 56" mean? Any guidance will be appreciated. Will i be able to extend my PGWP and get an extension of 2 years and 9 months?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I just received my post graduate work permit. I completed 2 years diploma, my passport expires in November, 2018. So i only received PGWP for 3 months instead of 3 years. What does "Case Type 56" mean? Any guidance will be appreciated. Will i be able to extend my PGWP and get an extension of 2 years and 9 months?
Hi

The case type means PGWP.

Yes, you can extend your PGWP once you have a new passport.

w0lfy

Aug 25, 2018
Hi

The case type means PGWP.

Yes, you can extend your PGWP once you have a new passport.

I'm slightly worried because my friend is in the same situation.
Both of us have R183(6), Case Type 56. Passport expiring before PGWP period of 3 years so the permit we received is lesser than the total duration. He got it for 1 year and i got it for 3 months instead of 3 years.

Anyway, on his remarks, it states "Entitled to a post-grad work permit valid until 2021/07/11 with renewal of passport" which is comforting. But on mine it states "Work permit issued as per passport validity". Why do we have different remarks? Is it worrying?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Both of us have R183(6), Case Type 56. Passport expiring before PGWP period of 3 years so the permit we received is lesser than the total duration. He got it for 1 year and i got it for 3 months instead of 3 years.

Anyway, on his remarks, it states "Entitled to a post-grad work permit valid until 2021/07/11 with renewal of passport" which is comforting. But on mine it states "Work permit issued as per passport validity". Why do we have different remarks? Is it worrying?
Different officers put different remarks. Sometimes there is nothing stated about the validity. You are worrying for nothing.

Reactions: w0lfy

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Just speculation but Maybe on yours the visa officer didn’t make remarks as they may have thought it pretty crazy to apply for a PGWP with only 3 months validity on a passport, shorter even than the time it will take to process an extension.

Anyway suggest you get your new passport and get your application into the system to extend as soon as possible given after the 3 months goes by it will be too late.

w0lfy

Aug 25, 2018
Different officers put different remarks. Sometimes there is nothing stated about the validity. You are worrying for nothing.
Just speculation but Maybe on yours the visa officer didn’t make remarks as they may have thought it pretty crazy to apply for a PGWP with only 3 months validity on a passport, shorter even than the time it will take to process an extension.
Anyway suggest you get your new passport and get your application into the system to extend as soon as possible given after the 3 months goes by it will be too late.
Thanks for the assurance lads, it's much appreciated. I've already applied for new passport, should have it within a week or so. Do you suggest i apply by paper or online should be fine?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the assurance lads, it's much appreciated. I've already applied for new passport, should have it within a week or so. Do you suggest i apply by paper or online should be fine?
I believe you have to apply by paper but not 100% sure. I recall people having issues with the answers they had to give when trying to apply online and the system saying no because PGWPs generally aren't extendable.

Alfin Samuel

Oct 28, 2018
I believe you have to apply by paper but not 100% sure. I recall people having issues with the answers they had to give when trying to apply online and the system saying no because PGWPs generally aren't extendable.
Hi,

I am also in the same boat and I got my new passport. Can you please point out the documents needs to be submitted when applying for the PGWP extension?

Thanks!

catagretchen

Nov 17, 2018
I got my pgwp approved but only until the expiry date of my old passport so until april 2019. The thing is that I did send a copy of my new passport together with the application so I don't understand why they only gave me a permit for 5 months... and I only have the email confirmation so far not the actual Visa paper to see what they wrote at the bottom of it? what do you guys think? (I did a 2 year program)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I got my pgwp approved but only until the expiry date of my old passport so until april 2019. The thing is that I did send a copy of my new passport together with the application so I don't understand why they only gave me a permit for 5 months... and I only have the email confirmation so far not the actual Visa paper to see what they wrote at the bottom of it? what do you guys think? (I did a 2 year program)
If you sent the new passport with it, send a Webform. They should be able to just re-issue the permit.

Lxenon

Aug 25, 2020
Hi, Can you please give us an update on your situation, i'm at the same problem right now,
At the border when i applied the officer told me that i can get the full 3 years with a new passport, but there is no remark,
at the same time when you look at the immigration website they precise that you cant apply for extension unless you have a remark on the permit!!
Some help please i'm lost,

sukruths71

Oct 19, 2020
Same here for me too, PGWP only issued till my passport expiry date but no remarks have been added as I can extend the work permit.
Can anyone suggest what must be done...I have got my PGWP on Oct 13, 2020, and its valid till august 2022 but I must have got it till Oct 2023.

Regards,
Sukruth S