+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What documents will I need for a child I had in my teens with my now husband

Utoechi

Jul 31, 2019
Please I just want to be prepared in any way. I had a daughter 12 years ago with my now husband but because we were just kids then, we didn't get married or anything, my mum raised her till we later got married in 2016 and she moved in with us immediately. Her birth certificate contains both our names. I want to know the kinds of documents that will be required by CIC in this case.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
Please I just want to be prepared in any way. I had a daughter 12 years ago with my now husband but because we were just kids then, we didn't get married or anything, my mum raised her till we later got married in 2016 and she moved in with us immediately. Her birth certificate contains both our names. I want to know the kinds of documents that will be required by CIC in this case.
Your marital status at the time of your child's birth is irrelevant.
All you need to do is upload scanned copies of the child's birth certificate, passport, and complete the medical exam.

If either of the parents is listed as non-accompanying in the application, the other parent will need to prove they have full legal custody of the child, but since you and the father are applying together as a family, this won't be required for you.

Utoechi

Jul 31, 2019
Your marital status at the time of your child's birth is irrelevant.
All you need to do is upload scanned copies of the child's birth certificate, passport, and complete the medical exam.

If either of the parents is listed as non-accompanying in the application, the other parent will need to prove they have full legal custody of the child, but since you and the father are applying together as a family, this won't be required for you.
Thanks for the explanation. We might have to apply as unaccomapying because of our CRS points, but it's okay, he'll just have to submit proof of legal custody. Please in what form can this proof be? A letter?

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
Thanks for the explanation. We might have to apply as unaccomapying because of our CRS points, but it's okay, he'll just have to submit proof of legal custody. Please in what form can this proof be? A letter?
I believe a notarized affidavit could suffice.

Your case is a bit strange, as most cases I've seen have either the child staying back with the non-accompanying parent, or the parents are divorced. Perhaps other forum members can shed more light.

Utoechi

Jul 31, 2019

Your case is a bit strange, as most cases I've seen have either the child staying back with the non-accompanying parent, or the parents are divorced. Perhaps other forum members can shed more light.
Do you really think my case is strange? We have three other kids, four in total. I am applying for all of them as accompanying, it's just my husband that's staying back because of his business. I thought our situation is just like many I've heard about, I know that some families travel without the husband effortlessly.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
I mean I haven't come across this myself before, but if you have found examples of other forum members with this same scenario, I recommend you post on those threads. If it's an easy process, all the better.

Or perhaps other members can chime in here with their own advice/experiences.

maplemom

Star Member
Apr 8, 2019
I don't think there will be any special requirements for that very child. He or she will be treated just like the others because the both parents are now married to each other. The only thing you would be needing is a consent letter or affidavit from your spouse stating that you have his consent to travel with the kids alone. There will also be no need for custody papers because you both are married and still together.

jahrule

Star Member
Dec 31, 2015

Not sure if this help. My husband and I werent married when we had our first, therefore, his name was not on my son birth certificate. I applied for everyone as primary applicant. They sent back asking for non-accompany form (even though they both were on the application) from my husband and explanation from me why his name wasn't on child birth certificate. After receiving that they said they needed a new birth certificate with fathers name on it.
In your case though, you said that both the names are on there.

Utoechi

Jul 31, 2019
Not sure if this help. My husband and I werent married when we had our first, therefore, his name was not on my son birth certificate. I applied for everyone as primary applicant. They sent back asking for non-accompany form (even though they both were on the application) from my husband and explanation from me why his name wasn't on child birth certificate. After receiving that they said they needed a new birth certificate with fathers name on it.
In your case though, you said that both the names are on there.
Yes both our names are on the birth certificate. Thanks for the information
I don't think there will be any special requirements for that very child. He or she will be treated just like the others because the both parents are now married to each other. The only thing you would be needing is a consent letter or affidavit from your spouse stating that you have his consent to travel with the kids alone. There will also be no need for custody papers because you both are married and still together.
Thanks so much for the information

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you really think my case is strange? We have three other kids, four in total. I am applying for all of them as accompanying, it's just my husband that's staying back because of his business. I thought our situation is just like many I've heard about, I know that some families travel without the husband effortlessly.
Your case is not strange. The one child will not be treated any differently. Your husband will need to sign form IMM5604.