+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What documents are needed for bringing cash into Canada?

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
I am planning to bring 10,000 CAD in cash into Canada. This cash is already converted into Canadian dollars.
What documents do I need to show as proof of the source of this cash, at the border?
What documents do I need to show to a Canadian bank when I want to deposit this cash into my Canadian bank account?

Anyone with experiences on this subject, please give me some advices.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I am planning to bring 10,000 CAD in cash into Canada. This cash is already converted into Canadian dollars.
What documents do I need to show as proof of the source of this cash, at the border?
What documents do I need to show to a Canadian bank when I want to deposit this cash into my Canadian bank account?

Anyone with experiences on this subject, please give me some advices.
I would suggest that you not carry that much money on your person, as it is quite risky carrying that much of money. As far as customs is concerned, you just need to declare the amount in your arrivals card. If required they would ask for the source of funds and you can show the bank statement where you have withdrawn etc. If the funds are legal then there are no issues.

When depositing in the bank, the bank will have to submit a FINTRAC report, again as long as your funds are legal, there are no issues.

https://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/reporting-declaration/info/rptLCTR-eng

Rajgur

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
instead of carrying that much amount, I will suggest to make a forex card and load all the money in if
Easy to use and carry