+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what do you mean by continous one yar experience

kirat

Jan 3, 2009
Dear all,
please clearify what is meaning of one year continous experience. i have been working in the same college for last 6+ yars. but there is always a break in the year for two months due to you can say session break. can i qulify for the FSW catI as it states that experience sud be continous. please clerify.
thanks in advance

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Continuous one year experience means that you worked at one place for a year or more. If there were Holidays or recess than it is still one year, it doesn't goes by count of days or month, it means that you should worked at a place for a year. If the college is closed in summer for sometime in a year, it still means you worked there for a year.

kirat

Jan 3, 2009
respected seniors,
please comment on the matter. does summer break in college means break in continuity of service. i am not paid for the summer break. please tell whether i have the conitous one year or not. cooments from rupeshari wiil be appericiated since he also applied und same noc code as mine and perhaps faced the summer break in his teaching experience too.
thanks and regards.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
from the Skiller Worker manual:

"To be eligible for points, the applicant’s work experience must:

A) One-year continuous full-time experience: this means one year in one skilled occupation to
demonstrate an ability to establish oneself economically;
or
(B) The equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations.

In (B), this continuous part-time employment could be made up of two part-time jobs held
simultaneously or of one part-time job held over the equivalent of one year of full-time
employment."

Based on that, if you have a 2-month break per year, that means you work 10 months per year. So you need to work an extra two months to compensate and complete a year.

BUT, does your contract (if you have one) specify how much time (work hours) you work per week (or per month, per year). This is because CIC considers that a full-time year of work equals approximately 1900 hours of work per year.

PaulandAb

Jan 8, 2009
I agree with NewYorker.. a year's continuous experience means that you were employed by the same employer continously for a year or that you did not hold any other work from another employer. School breaks still count....in my opinion...with your six years of continuous service with the same institution..there should be no problem even if you deduct the time the school was closed...they only need a year to qualify and four years to get the maximum points....

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
kirat said:
respected seniors,
please comment on the matter. does summer break in college means break in continuity of service. i am not paid for the summer break. please tell whether i have the conitous one year or not. cooments from rupeshari wiil be appericiated since he also applied und same noc code as mine and perhaps faced the summer break in his teaching experience too.
thanks and regards.
The answer to your concern is simple, only if you read the replies carefully.

andriy155

Star Member
Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
I have somewhat related but not necessarily the same question.

I am currently in Canada completing my Masters degree in Economics and working part time as a programmer (group 2174). I have been in the country for 6.5 years and I think I satisfy the Skilled worker requirements point-wise (have 75 or so).

However, my question is about continuous work experience. I have the following situation:
September 2004 - April 2005 "IT Programmer" (2174)
May 2005 - December 2005 "IT helpdesk technician" (2282)

There was no break between these two employment spells; however, they have been at two different companies. Nevertheless, they are very related occupations and their total duration is 1 year and 4 months. In addition, CIC allows to have more than one occupation is you are claiming part-time equivalent. Do I have a case here?

I have additional work experience; however, it does not amount to 1 year continuously - most of the time I was studying.

What do you think? Should I apply or should I wait until I finish my masters, work for a year full-time and then apply under CEC?