+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the possible effects of getting married while a PR?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Here's a more complete questions: What are the possible effects of getting married while a PR prior to applying for citizenship? My fiance and I are both permanent residents. I shall be eligible to apply for citizenship in July 2014, whereas she shall be eligible in December 2014. However, we're planning to get married before then. Any effects we should be aware of? Say I apply for citizenship after we're married -- does that affect us in any way?

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
Empirical-Scientist said:
Here's a more complete questions: What are the possible effects of getting married while a PR prior to applying for citizenship? My fiance and I are both permanent residents. I shall be eligible to apply for citizenship in July 2014, whereas she shall be eligible in December 2014. However, we're planning to get married before then. Any effects we should be aware of? Say I apply for citizenship after we're married -- does that affect us in any way?
Marriage wont effect your Citizenship Application...You can marry before or after applying as both are PR's. Approving of Citizenship is based on each individual's paper work and details....Good luck

gta-local

Star Member
Aug 10, 2013
Not in any way.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
LOL sorry but i find this funny....what possible effect a marriage will have on a Citizenship application :-\ :-\....The only effect a marriage can have in your case is either will make you a happy person or miserable....Your citizenship has nothing to do with it at all

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
OKK said:
LOL sorry but i find this funny....what possible effect a marriage will have on a Citizenship application :-\ :-\....The only effect a marriage can have in your case is either will make you a happy person or miserable....Your citizenship has nothing to do with it at all
You'd be surprised...

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Marriage won't have an effect on your Canadian citizenship applications, unless you get a job at a Canadian embassy after you become a citizen, in which case her time accompanying you will count towards citizenship.

However, you should investigate whether naturalization in Canada and/or marriage has an effect on citizenship in your other countries.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
I also have a question, which is a little different.
I will meet the requirements for applying for citizenship in April 2014.
I am single now, but I am planning to get married.

If I apply for citizenship in April 2014 and then get married, is it going to delay my application?
(because of change in my status from single to married)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kazemsd said:
I also have a question, which is a little different.
I will meet the requirements for applying for citizenship in April 2014.
I am single now, but I am planning to get married.

If I apply for citizenship in April 2014 and then get married, is it going to delay my application?
(because of change in my status from single to married)?
The answer is no different that those provided above. No impact. Go ahead and get married and congratulations in advance.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
scylla said:
The answer is no different that those provided above. No impact. Go ahead and get married and congratulations in advance.
Thank you scylla for your answer.
How do you change your marital status after you applied for citizenship?
is it online or you should send an email or mail?

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

Marriage will not effect your citizenship at all. I get married out of Canada while I was PR card holder.

Here is my timeline:

- Application received on April 03, 2013
- Study book was send on April 03, 2013 (Consider Delay) which I received on Mid of August I don't exactly remember the date.
- Start processing on June 18, 2013
- Citizenship Test letter was sent on October 2, 2013 and Citizenship test on October 21, 2013
- Letter received on November 4, 2013 saying that Oath Ceremony on November 25, 2013

Thanks

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Aamir89 said:
Hi there,

Marriage will not effect your citizenship at all. I get married out of Canada while I was PR card holder.

Here is my timeline:

- Application received on April 03, 2013
- Study book was send on April 03, 2013 (Consider Delay) which I received on Mid of August I don't exactly remember the date.
- Start processing on June 18, 2013
- Citizenship Test letter was sent on October 2, 2013 and Citizenship test on October 21, 2013
- Letter received on November 4, 2013 saying that Oath Ceremony on November 25, 2013

Thanks
Thank you Aamir 89 for your answer.
I have another question.
You sent your application on April 03, 2013 and you have an oath ceremony on Nov. 25, 2013?
So, around 8 months? It is quite fast considering the timeline (25 months for regular applications)

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kazemsd said:
Thank you Aamir 89 for your answer.
I have another question.
You sent your application on April 03, 2013 and you have an oath ceremony on Nov. 25, 2013?
So, around 8 months? It is quite fast considering the timeline (25 months for regular applications)
Hello,

Yes it was very fast unexpectedly. I think every file is different and most important thing is that its all depend on the office who is dealing with your file. I guess best is to provide whatever information is required in right order.

I know it says 25 months but again no one can predict it. I know couple people who get Oath in 2013 and they applied in 2011. My brother got an RQ he applied last year August 2012 and wrote the test and now waiting.

But I can guarantee that getting married will NO WAY affect your file. I came here in 2009 and got married in 2011 back home. And see my timeline.

Thanks

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Aamir89 said:
Hello,

Yes it was very fast unexpectedly. I think every file is different and most important thing is that its all depend on the office who is dealing with your file. I guess best is to provide whatever information is required in right order.

I know it says 25 months but again no one can predict it. I know couple people who get Oath in 2013 and they applied in 2011. My brother got an RQ he applied last year August 2012 and wrote the test and now waiting.

But I can guarantee that getting married will NO WAY affect your file. I came here in 2009 and got married in 2011 back home. And see my timeline.

Thanks
Thank you again Aamir for your answer.
I hope everything goes well with you in future as well.

I completely understood that being married does not affect my file.
My only worry was that I am going to submit my application and put "sinlge" in the sttus.
If I get married after mailing my application, then I need to inform CIC.
I thought this "informing CIC" might delay me. What do you think?

How someone can change the status from "single" to "married" after sending the application?
Is it online, mail, email?

I know for PR application we should inform CIC about the change in marital status.
Is it the same for citizenship?

Thanks again

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kazemsd said:
Thank you again Aamir for your answer.
I hope everything goes well with you in future as well.

I completely understood that being married does not affect my file.
My only worry was that I am going to submit my application and put "sinlge" in the sttus.
If I get married after mailing my application, then I need to inform CIC.
I thought this "informing CIC" might delay me. What do you think?

How someone can change the status from "single" to "married" after sending the application?
Is it online, mail, email?

I know for PR application we should inform CIC about the change in marital status.
Is it the same for citizenship?

Thanks again
Hi Again,

Thanks for wishing me. I think it will not affect your file if you get married. You just need to call cic and let them know your status has been changed and they will provide you the instruction. But I am pretty sure it won't delay you case at all because citizenship is yours and it has no relation with your spouse.

I would suggest you should apply for citizenship and if you get married in the meanwhile you can always call them and update your status and it won't affect your case.

Thanks

Waitingforcitizenship

Oct 4, 2013
If Children born in Canada , they become citizens.