+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the odds for getting a study permit for a General Practitioner who pursues a DEC degree?

diod92

Aug 10, 2018
Hello, I studied medicine in Mexico and graduated last year. Since then I have been working as a doctor, mainly with demented people.

I was accepted to Special Care Counselling at LaSalle College in Montréal, which is a DEC degree for three years.

I have read that one of the hiden rules for obtaining a canadian study permit is not to choose a lower level of studies, but according to me a DEC, as an undergraduate degree, both are postsecondary levels. I have met the minimum requirements for my study permit, but I am concerned about refusal, they could think, why a doctor wants to study a techincal program? I have sent letters from my University stating my academic dossier was focused on people with dementia and disabilities, which fits in well on the Special Care Counselling program, is this a good support?

Particularly I have asked the school, and they say there is no problem, nevertheless they say they have never had a general practitioner inscribed in the course. What is your oppinion? Pursuing college studies with already an BSc is a bad idea? Have you heard about someone who holds a Bsc degree and was accepted to study into a College in Canada? My only option is getting into a master program then? I am 25 years old.

Thanks in advance!

asdfgh789

Dec 16, 2017
Hello, I studied medicine in Mexico and graduated last year. Since then I have been working as a doctor, mainly with demented people.

I was accepted to Special Care Counselling at LaSalle College in Montréal, which is a DEC degree for three years.

I have read that one of the hiden rules for obtaining a canadian study permit is not to choose a lower level of studies, but according to me a DEC, as an undergraduate degree, both are postsecondary levels. I have met the minimum requirements for my study permit, but I am concerned about refusal, they could think, why a doctor wants to study a techincal program? I have sent letters from my University stating my academic dossier was focused on people with dementia and disabilities, which fits in well on the Special Care Counselling program, is this a good support?

Particularly I have asked the school, and they say there is no problem, nevertheless they say they have never had a general practitioner inscribed in the course. What is your oppinion? Pursuing college studies with already an BSc is a bad idea? Have you heard about someone who holds a Bsc degree and was accepted to study into a College in Canada? My only option is getting into a master program then? I am 25 years old.

Thanks in advance!
Hello there,

Yes, I have Bsc degree and was accepted to study into a College in Canada!! So, you shoud be OK! I´ve just graduated as a SCC, but in another Cegep in Montréal. By the time I requested my Study Permit (3 years ago) I had a Bsc degree and work experience in business. They asked me for a explanation letter, but nevertheless I got my Study Permit. Good Luck!