+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the health insurance options available for someone who doesn't have OHIP coverage?

Aman R

Jun 8, 2017
India
Hey everyone, I am currently on work permit working fulltime in Ontario. Currently I am not eligible to apply for OHIP as I have yet to complete 6 months of employment and my company doesn't cover me for health insurance. This morning I fell while riding my bike and hurt my elbow which is now swollen. I know I have to visit the hospital but I don't have much in savings as I just started working few months back. What are my options right now? If it turn out to be a fracture the bills will easily cross $1000 mark which is hard to afford for me. Any help appreciated.

I was insured when I was studying but that was 5 months back.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey everyone, I am currently on work permit working fulltime in Ontario. Currently I am not eligible to apply for OHIP as I have yet to complete 6 months of employment and my company doesn't cover me for health insurance. This morning I fell while riding my bike and hurt my elbow which is now swollen. I know I have to visit the hospital but I don't have much in savings as I just started working few months back. What are my options right now? If it turn out to be a fracture the bills will easily cross $1000 mark which is hard to afford for me. Any help appreciated.

The option would have been to purchase private insurance to cover yourself in the meantime but it's too late for that. You will have to pay.

Note that you don't need to actually complete 6 months of employment to qualify. You just need a letter from the employer confirming you will be working full-time for at least 6 months.

Reactions: scylla

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Feel sorry for you. Google Community Health Center in your area. They might provide "few" services at no cost/reduced prices which might bring down your overall bill. Please do update this thread with your experience.

Reactions: Elbagurl

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019

Here we go again.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS !!!!!
If you have letter of employment indicating that you WILL, ARE. Working for at list 6 months full time in Ontario go ahead and apply, proof of address very important too.
Go to main office, you might be eligible now. However work permit if it expires soon it is on the discretionary of the office to determin your eligibility. You might be late. and wait for the extension of your work permit.
If not call OHIP today
Feel better.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Here we go again.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS !!!!!
If you have letter of employment indicating that you WILL, ARE. Working for at list 6 months full time in Ontario go ahead and apply, proof of address very important too.
Go to main office, you might be eligible now. However work permit if it expires soon it is on the discretionary of the office to determin your eligibility. You might be late. and wait for the extension of your work permit.
If not call OHIP today
Feel better.
Stop being dramatic and turn the CAPS lock off.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Go to a service Ontario office. No need to go to a head office or call. We don't have a ton of information on you work history. You will need a letter from your employer. Specific details about your program can be found on the forum.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Go to a service Ontario office. No need to go to a head office or call. We don't have a ton of information on you work history. You will need a letter from your employer. Specific details about your program can be found on the forum.

Work permit holder, only main office.

Aman R

Jun 8, 2017
India
Hey everyone, thanks for all your suggestions really appreciate it. It was getting too troublesome next day so I went to one of the community health centers near my place but they told me that I have to registered with them already to see a doctor but they did provided me a list of walk-in clinics in the city so I directly went there to see a doctor. It costed me 75 bucks to see the doctor, after initial examination it turned out it's not a fracture but just a muscle tear which will take a month or two to recover. So including doctor's fees, meds and xray the total cost came to 250.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hey everyone, thanks for all your suggestions really appreciate it. It was getting too troublesome next day so I went to one of the community health centers near my place but they told me that I have to registered with them already to see a doctor but they did provided me a list of walk-in clinics in the city so I directly went there to see a doctor. It costed me 75 bucks to see the doctor, after initial examination it turned out it's not a fracture but just a muscle tear which will take a month or two to recover. So including doctor's fees, meds and xray the total cost came to 250.
That's good to hear. Now make sure you have insurance coverage, whether through OHIP or private insurance so you never have issues again!

kanika4c

Apr 6, 2020
Hi
I need this information for my sister. She was an international student and had medical insurance plan for 2yrs of coverage from home country. Now her insurance plan is expired and she also graduated from the university. She has W-1 category worker permit for 3yrs, she is staying in waterloo and was working part time in university cafeteria, but now due to covid that is close. What options does she has for getting medical health insurance ( including covid ).
Appreciate your expert advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I need this information for my sister. She was an international student and had medical insurance plan for 2yrs of coverage from home country. Now her insurance plan is expired and she also graduated from the university. She has W-1 category worker permit for 3yrs, she is staying in waterloo and was working part time in university cafeteria, but now due to covid that is close. What options does she has for getting medical health insurance ( including covid ).
Appreciate your expert advise.
You will have to look online for the various emwrgency medical insurance plans. There are websites that compare the available plans although coverage and pricing depends on age and health status. You'll need to enquire aboutncovid coverage. The Ontario governement currently provides covid testing and treatment at no cost.

kanika4c

Apr 6, 2020
You will have to look online for the various emwrgency medical insurance plans. There are websites that compare the available plans although coverage and pricing depends on age and health status. You'll need to enquire aboutncovid coverage. The Ontario governement currently provides covid testing and treatment at no cost.
Thanks for your response. I did look online but there are number of options, could you please advise which is the best buy available. She is healthy and 25yrs old.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response. I did look online but there are number of options, could you please advise which is the best buy available. She is healthy and 25yrs old.
Sorry I am not an insurance broker. Would suggest going with an insurer that has offices in Canada. International policies are often more difficult to get reimbursement from.