+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are our next steps to prove we're Common-law and get PR!

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
Hello fellow forum junkies!

Looking for some help with the best way to prove our relationship for common-law PR application for myself (Australian), and my girlfriend (Canadian)

We've been living together in Canada for two years and want to apply.

What we do and don't have:

I recently renewed my visa and on the application I put down my status as 'Common-Law'.

However we have only filled out our taxes once in Canada and at the time we hadn't been living together for the full 12 months so we did NOT put our status on that as Common-law. It's tax time again and we are about to fill them out and WILL of course now put our status as Common-law.

So im not sure if we are officially considered Common law by the Canadian Government or not?

We don't currently have a joint bank account or credit card but we share/help each other with all our expenses.

We do have our names on Rental agreements and household bills, as well as photographs of trips and reservations for transport and hotels in both our names. Also a photograph of our names next to our apartment number on the buzzer of out apartment building. Stuff like this.

How can we best go about proving our relationship status?

Im planning on having friends an family do Statutory declarations but have been unable to find a form or template for them. Any links or leads on how to do this?

Cheers guys!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You weren't common law the first time you filed taxes, so that is OK. Any proof of joined finances is good. Proof you have lived together for 12 months is crucial. If you have rental receipts and utility bills with both names over one year, that would be ideal.
You also have to show the relationship is genuine - photos, joint travel, proof of relationships with each other's family helps here.
You need two statutory declarations. There is no form. Someone writes a letter for you and then goes to a lawyer to have it made into an affidavit and notarized.