+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are my chances of securing a job in Canada after an M.A in French?

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
I am 22 year old student. I am from India and right now I am studying French literature. I will complete my studies this year in June and will receive my Bachelor's in French language in August. I want to study in Canada and get a job there after my studies so that I could get a PR. However, I don't know if my field of study is required in Canada or not. I want to be a teacher of French language. Will I have an easy time securing a job after my studies? I would also like to know about Digital marketing courses. It is a year course. Does it have good job prospects?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The good news is the Canada really needs French teachers, the bad news is that you're not a teacher. Teaching degrees are masters courses in Canada so I would looking teacher's colleges. You'll have to look at each province because they each have their own requirements. I would also contact the teaching associations in each province and explain that you have a bachelors in French and you'd like to move to Canada to be a French teacher and what should you do. There may be special programs in certain provinces for students who want to be French teachers. I would put in the time to do some research and it will likely pay off. Think your chances of securing a good job and moving to Canada are much better as a future French teacher vs digital marketing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to do some form of training. You have to put in the time and start contacting each provincial group. Research the shortage of French teachers in Canada.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
To be frank, if you have just started learning French at the university, teaching french in Canada is still a stretch even with your bachelor. Even for native speakers they have to go through specialized training and obtain certificates before they can teach. Being bilingual however is a great advantage especially in Ontario and Quebec. Do you have any other interest or education? It would make more sense to study something else and use the French language as an add-on, instead of solely relying on your French studies.

Digital marketing which you mentioned is a nice field, however is this something you have done in India before? For you to obtain the study permit there must be some sort of continuity with your previous studies or work, otherwise it would be clear that you are only coming for the opportunity to stay which will lower your chances of obtaining such permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
will it not be difficult to get a job as a french teacher without experience?
Graduating teachers in Canada get jobs especially if they specialize in French. You obviously need to get through school first. Please do some googling about the shortage of French teachers to see how desperate school districts are. I assume you have a decent French speaking ability if you were able together a degree in French literature.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-french-immersion-teacher-shortage-1.4423050

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
To be frank, if you have just started learning French at the university, teaching french in Canada is still a stretch even with your bachelor. Even for native speakers they have to go through specialized training and obtain certificates before they can teach. Being bilingual however is a great advantage especially in Ontario and Quebec. Do you have any other interest or education? It would make more sense to study something else and use the French language as an add-on, instead of solely relying on your French studies.

Digital marketing which you mentioned is a nice field, however is this something you have done in India before? For you to obtain the study permit there must be some sort of continuity with your previous studies or work, otherwise it would be clear that you are only coming for the opportunity to stay which will lower your chances of obtaining such permit.
I have B2 level in French and I can say that I am fluent in it. I just tend to forget some verbs sometimes but its nothing bad. I have been learning it for more than 3 years now. Do you think a B.ed in French language will help me secure a job? I have done nothing related to digital marketing but it interests me. I am looking for courses which have no math in them because I am terrible at math. I asked some Canadians and they suggested studying trades like Plumbing/installing heating or air conditioning and they said you could make good money and there is no math in them. I looked up for some apprenticeship programs in Canadian universities but most of them had math in them. Is human resources a good field to get into? I was thinking about masters in human resource management. I would like to become a recruiter. If you have anything else to suggest, feel free to write it.

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Graduating teachers in Canada get jobs especially if they specialize in French. You obviously need to get through school first. Please do some googling about the shortage of French teachers to see how desperate school districts are. I assume you have a decent French speaking ability if you were able together a degree in French literature.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-french-immersion-teacher-shortage-1.4423050
Thanks! This gives me some hope since teaching is what interests me the most but I hear mixed reviews from people when I talk to them about continuing my French studies in Canada. 90% of people say with utmost certainty that you wont be able to secure a job if you did masters in French language as it is a very bizarre subject to choose. :/ So I am not sure now. I really need some help in this.