+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are good places to live in ontario?

neilmax

Jul 16, 2013
I will be moving to live in Ontario.What are some good areas to live.I am looking to a rent place, find a job and start college etc.What a good area that's close to colleges and housing is reasonable.Also what do you think about this area Hamilton.I am seeing alot of places are cheaper here.Is it safe?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First you should narrow down what college or area of study you are interested. Once you select the college and its campus, you should start checking the surrounding area. Ontario is huge - from Thunder Bay in the North West to Hamilton in the southern area of the Province.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
As steaky said, Ontario is huge locating 28 colleges and 22 universities. FYI, colleges and universities are different in Canada. First you have to choose your program and college/university (for example, pick 2 or 3), then people can comment on the advantages of different locations.

Find a college in Ontario: http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/FindProgram

Find a university in Ontario: http://www.ontario.ca/education-and-training/ontario-universities

neilmax

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks guys will have a look at this.What do you think about Scarborough is it a good place for a new immigrant?Is there crime or so?

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Neilmax,

When I lived in the Greater Toronto Area (which includes Scarborough) I quickly learned that it is a unique city because every neighbourhood is very different. Crime rates on one street may be high, and then four or five streets away they are very low. As the other posters mention, if you are looking for a particular field of study in Ontario, that should be the biggest influence for your decision on where to live. For example, my Immigration and Settlement MA program was in downtown Toronto, and so I moved there in order to do the program. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you would like some additional help.

Best of luck

neilmax

Jul 16, 2013
MyCanadaPlan said:
Hi Neilmax,

When I lived in the Greater Toronto Area (which includes Scarborough) I quickly learned that it is a unique city because every neighbourhood is very different. Crime rates on one street may be high, and then four or five streets away they are very low. As the other posters mention, if you are looking for a particular field of study in Ontario, that should be the biggest influence for your decision on where to live. For example, my Immigration and Settlement MA program was in downtown Toronto, and so I moved there in order to do the program. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you would like some additional help.

Best of luck
Hi well my family is also with me so its more like settling for all of us.I'm intrested in settling in either the scarborough area or in burlington.What do you think about burlington?Are there much colleges or so nearby?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neilmax said:
Hi well my family is also with me so its more like settling for all of us.I'm intrested in settling in either the scarborough area or in burlington.What do you think about burlington?Are there much colleges or so nearby?
In terms of educational opportunities, scarborough area would be better.

neilmax

Jul 16, 2013
steaky said:
In terms of educational opportunities, scarborough area would be better.
But are there colleges in Burlington or nearby areas, that can be accessed by public transport?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
neilmax said:
But are there colleges in Burlington or nearby areas, that can be accessed by public transport?
There are no public colleges/universities in Burlington. The nearest college would be Sheridan in Oakville. People normally travel to work/school by GO Bus/Train from Burlington.

Suppose you live in Burlington and your college is in Mississauga. You need to have (1) Burlington local transit ticket/pass to reach your nearest GO station (or carpool/ someone drops you off/ walk if it's nearby), (2) GO ticket/pass to travel by a bus or train to Mississauga GO station (the nearest to your college location) and (3) Mississauga local transit ticket/pass (other options like before) in order to reach your final destination. You do the same on your return. Lot of people are doing it everyday. But I would probably kill myself if I have to do it on regular basis (3~4 hours just on transit).

Select a college from Central zone, find its address and put it in your destination address in Google map. Choose "by public transit" to view a route and estimated time. You will have a pretty good idea then.

MyCanadaPlan

Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Neilmax,

Burlington is surrounded by several technical colleges, whereas in Scarborough you will find a University of Toronto campus. However, many Torontonians commute for school and work. Burlington is about a 40 minute train ride from Scarborough.
Look for the education first, and then find a place to live for you and your family.