+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What after PRTD?

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Hi, my husband and MIL got their PRTD in dec. their PR card expired on March 2020 but due to lockdown they couldn’t apply renewal. Also they did not meet the residency obligation but got PRTD approved on H&C grounds.
what is the process after reaching canada? Do they have to reapply for PR cards? As all other ID proofs also expired. And they have other present Canadian ID. What should be the further process? Please guide.
i have no idea that PRTD is R1 or RC1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, my husband and MIL got their PRTD in dec. their PR card expired on March 2020 but due to lockdown they couldn’t apply renewal. Also they did not meet the residency obligation but got PRTD approved on H&C grounds.
what is the process after reaching canada? Do they have to reapply for PR cards? As all other ID proofs also expired. And they have other present Canadian ID. What should be the further process? Please guide.
i have no idea that PRTD is R1 or RC1
It is very important to know whether it said R1 or RC1. It will be on th PRTD.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Mama
There is nothing mentioned on PRTD. It just mentioned a single entry and a number beginning with R
actually they didn’t asked for passport to get stamped instead they sent a letter mentioning prtd is approved and through that letter they got entry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Mama

actually they didn’t asked for passport to get stamped instead they sent a letter mentioning prtd is approved and through that letter they got entry.
It’s unclear what will happen if you apply for PR cards and whether H&C will be reassessed since you seem to have been granted special PRTDs that didn’t require passport stamping.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Safest thing is not to re-apply for a PR card until they meet their RO.

There are other government issued IDs they can use in Canada like a driving license, health card and provincial ID.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Safest thing is not to re-apply for a PR card until they meet their RO.

There are other government issued IDs they can use in Canada like a driving license, health card and provincial ID.
But all other government IDs are expired. My husband has only driving license. And MIL has all other IDs expired.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Do you still have your COPR? You could try using that as your proof of immigration status.

I mean, you could try to get a PR card, if your PRTD was approved based on H&C grounds, which means there is a good chance that they will be accepted by IRCC again for your PR card renewal.

But generally it's better to fly under the radar when you are back in Canada until you've fulfilled your residency obligations. But if you don't have health coverage, i'm not sure it's feasible for you to remain there and wait until you're in the clear. You may just have to apply for the PR card and go through the review.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Do you still have your COPR? You could try using that as your proof of immigration status.

I mean, you could try to get a PR card, if your PRTD was approved based on H&C grounds, which means there is a good chance that they will be accepted by IRCC again for your PR card renewal.

But generally it's better to fly under the radar when you are back in Canada until you've fulfilled your residency obligations. But if you don't have health coverage, i'm not sure it's feasible for you to remain there and wait until you're in the clear. You may just have to apply for the PR card and go through the review.
Yes they still have COPR which was issued in feb 2015. If they both wait to meet RO then for 1.5 years they have to take health insurance and no other ID proof till then which would be quite risky and expensive. Their PRTD was approved by IRCC COVID within a week of application giving H&C grounds. Now my husband is getting a job but for verifying his status he has nothing in hand. Because PRTD was a single entry document and won’t work for that or either he should have receipt of PR card application after applying for renewal which could help. We were thinking that if RO was a concern then PRTD should have been rejected in India only. it was approved on H&C basis. So just scared that what could be the risk to apply the renewal of cards

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think the chances of getting the PRTD approved and the PR card rejected and getting reported are low if we're looking at it logically.

He should be able to get his PR card without any issues, but if you want you can ask for professional advice from an immigration lawyer. In the case, it would be helpful to get advice from someone who has experience with these situations.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
I think the chances of getting the PRTD approved and the PR card rejected and getting reported are low if we're looking at it logically.

He should be able to get his PR card without any issues, but if you want you can ask for professional advice from an immigration lawyer. In the case, it would be helpful to get advice from someone who has experience with these situations.
I talked to an IRCC officer and she told that PR card is required only if they want travel. And their status is PR only which can be verified by COPR. And COPR can be used as verification document for confirming status

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I talked to an IRCC officer and she told that PR card is required only if they want travel. And their status is PR only which can be verified by COPR. And COPR can be used as verification document for confirming status
Yeah, that's what i know as well, which is why i said you could use your COPR.