+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What additional documents can i provide to prove I have moved to Canada?

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
I became a PR in 2016 but couldn't move to Canada until August 2019 as i had a ton of grad school debt to pay and i stayed in the US to pay it off.
I have now moved, and would like to sponsor my spouse. We recently moved here from the US. I wasn't married at the time i got my PR.
In order to support my claim that I am now residing in Canada, I plan to attach a copy of the following documents. Can someone review whether my list is complete and provide feedback if its not?
1. Offer letter , pay stub from my company for 2 pay periods (my employment started on Sep 16, 2019 even though i moved to Canada on August 19,2019) as well as a verification of employment letter from my company that will have my starting date as well as my annual salary on it.
2. BC Driver's license. I am still waiting for my license as they just received my DL extract from the DMV.
3. BC MSP card : Is this required to prove that I am now a resident?
4. Utility bills (BC Hydro and Shaw)
5. Joint bank account statement from TD that has my spouse on it as well.
6. Rent agreement for my apartment. Its a 12 month lease that started Sep 1,2019.
7. LOE explaining why I wasn't in Canada even though I became a PR in 2016. I will be attaching a proof of debt payoff and why I needed to be in US to pay off student loans. My LOE will also address the fact that i am now fully employed in Canada, and intend to support my spouse.

Are there any other documents that I can provide to boost my sponsorship or at least address red flags before they come up?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I became a PR in 2016 but couldn't move to Canada until August 2019 as i had a ton of grad school debt to pay and i stayed in the US to pay it off.
I have now moved, and would like to sponsor my spouse. We recently moved here from the US. I wasn't married at the time i got my PR.
In order to support my claim that I am now residing in Canada, I plan to attach a copy of the following documents. Can someone review whether my list is complete and provide feedback if its not?
1. Offer letter , pay stub from my company for 2 pay periods (my employment started on Sep 16, 2019 even though i moved to Canada on August 19,2019) as well as a verification of employment letter from my company that will have my starting date as well as my annual salary on it.
2. BC Driver's license. I am still waiting for my license as they just received my DL extract from the DMV.
3. BC MSP card : Is this required to prove that I am now a resident?
4. Utility bills (BC Hydro and Shaw)
5. Joint bank account statement from TD that has my spouse on it as well.
6. Rent agreement for my apartment. Its a 12 month lease that started Sep 1,2019.
7. LOE explaining why I wasn't in Canada even though I became a PR in 2016. I will be attaching a proof of debt payoff and why I needed to be in US to pay off student loans. My LOE will also address the fact that i am now fully employed in Canada, and intend to support my spouse.

Are there any other documents that I can provide to boost my sponsorship or at least address red flags before they come up?
Key questions to answer first:
- When exactly in 2016 did you become a PR?
- Did you spend any time in Canada after becoming a PR? If so, when did you leave?

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
Key questions to answer first:
- When exactly in 2016 did you become a PR?
- Did you spend any time in Canada after becoming a PR? If so, when did you leave?
-June 26,2016.
- I visited briefly two or three times in 2019 for job interviews. Once i got a job offer, i moved fully in August 2019.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
-June 26,2016.
- I visited briefly two or three times in 2019 for job interviews. Once i got a job offer, i moved fully in August 2019.
OK - so then you may have a big problem. You need to calculate how long you have been outside of Canada from the time you left in June 26, 2016 to the time you return in August 2019. If this totals less than three years, you are good - but avoid any further travel outside of Canada. If this totals more than three years, you do not meet the residency requirement and don't qualify to sponsor your spouse at this time. You'll need to wait until you have lived in Canada for two years (and meet RO) before you will be able to sponsor. If you try earlier, expect the sponsorship application to be refused and for IRCC to likely begin an investigation of your own PR status possibly leading to a revokation.

So most important next step is to figure out exactly how much time you spent ouside of Canada between landing and your return in August.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you mean that you have an MSP card that isn’t valid yet since you didn’t qualify to apply for MSP during your previous visits. Health coverage has separate residency requirements.

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
OK - so then you may have a big problem. You need to calculate how long you have been outside of Canada from the time you left in June 26, 2016 to the time you return in August 2019. If this totals less than three years, you are good - but avoid any further travel outside of Canada. If this totals more than three years, you do not meet the residency requirement and don't qualify to sponsor your spouse at this time. You'll need to wait until you have lived in Canada for two years (and meet RO) before you will be able to sponsor. If you try earlier, expect the sponsorship application to be refused and for IRCC to likely begin an investigation of your own PR status possibly leading to a revokation.

So most important next step is to figure out exactly how much time you spent ouside of Canada between landing and your return in August.
My landing date was 26th June 2016. After that my trip to Canada was on 19th April 2019 which was about 8/9 days to interview with a few companies. Does that come under the 3 year period?

I've mostly read on the CIC website that i need to spend 2 years out of 5 , and my PR card expires Sept 2021, so i came in August 2019 permanently, leaving me just enough room in my PR to get the 2 years.
Although I understand that the RO is required for my own PR renewal, I cannot find anything on the CIC website suggesting that I cannot sponsor a spouse until 2 years are met on my PR. Can you point me to where I can find it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My landing date was 26th June 2016. After that my trip to Canada was on 19th April 2019 which was about 8/9 days to interview with a few companies. Does that come under the 3 year period?

I've mostly read on the CIC website that i need to spend 2 years out of 5 , and my PR card expires Sept 2021, so i came in August 2019 permanently, leaving me just enough room in my PR to get the 2 years.
Although I understand that the RO is required for my own PR renewal, I cannot find anything on the CIC website suggesting that I cannot sponsor a spouse until 2 years are met on my PR. Can you point me to where I can find it?
It is 5 years from the landing date. The expiry date of the PR card is irrelevant.

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
Thanks Canuck78. Sorry to be pedantic but I need help calculating the RO requirement.
My landing date : 26 June 2016.
Re-entry into Canada : 19 April 2019 for 10 days
Second trip : July 2019, 5 days
Permanent move : 19 August , 2019

Would my 2nd entry into the country i.e. 19 April 2019 count as "under the 3 year period?"
My total at the end of the PR expiration will come to 730 days , but i am unable to wait until then to sponsor my spouse.
Would checking with the CIC cause problems if I sent them a letter explaining my dates and situation, and asking them if i am eligible to sponsor?

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
Hey Canuck78, sorry to bother you again, but i just checked on some other thread what you mean by the RO date.
Date of Landing : 26 June 2019
Date of next visit to Canada : 19 April 2019 which falls under the 1095 days since date of landing. Does it mean that I am safe, even though i moved here permanently in August 2019?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks Canuck78. Sorry to be pedantic but I need help calculating the RO requirement.

Would my 2nd entry into the country i.e. 19 April 2019 count as "under the 3 year period?"
My total at the end of the PR expiration will come to 730 days , but i am unable to wait until then to sponsor my spouse.
Would checking with the CIC cause problems if I sent them a letter explaining my dates and situation, and asking them if i am eligible to sponsor?
You can't sponsor your spouse since you will be in canada for less than 2 years out of 5 years and you do not meet the RO. You shouldve thought about it earlier.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

yogigal

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
You can't sponsor your spouse since you will be in canada for less than 2 years out of 5 years and you do not meet the RO. You shouldve thought about it earlier.
While i appreciate you taking the time to respond, i do not appreciate the judgement.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You unfortunately do not meet the residency requirements at this time. It's not about when you returned to Canada - it's about how much time you have spent in Canada since you landed and became a PR. The requirement is to spend 2 out of every 5 rolling years in Canada from the date you landed. Whether you meet the residency requirement is determined based on your landing date - not the expiry of your PR card. If you had returned and stayed in June this year you would have been fine. August was too late and means you have now spent more than three years outside of Canada and don't meet the residency requirement.

The issue you face now is that you must meet the residency requirement to sponsor a spouse / common law partner. So you do not qualify at this time. To qualify, you will need to live in Canada for two years to meet the residency requirement again.

IRCC will not respond to a letter asking if you are eligible to sponsor. If you want immigration advice, you will need to hire an immigration lawyer (stay away from consultants).

If you cannot wait to sponsor a spouse - then you can certainly apply. Be prepared for a longer than normal processing time - and for the fact that the most probably outcome is a refusal (the application will only be approved if the IRCC officer makes a mistake). Assuming the application is in fact refused, there's a decent chance IRCC may then move to revoke your PR status since you don't meet the residency requirement.

Reactions: planbee