yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I am having a problem here and was wondering if anybody has had similar experience.

I am a Chartered Accountant from Singapore and had sent my credentials over to WES for evaluation. I have previously read on the forum that people have sent similar credentials over (India, UK, Australia) for WES evaluation and had gotten them evaluated successfully. I'm not sure of how each country assesses their chartered accountants but in my case, it was a simple process of getting the bachelor's degree from the local university (which is extremely hard to get accepted), completing the 3 years of relevant experience, and then passing a pre-admission course exam. There are no further modules to be taken.

I waited for more than 20 working days and emailed WES, expecting that the evaluation is completed. to my horror, they replied me saying that they have received my documents but they do not accept documents from the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants. The academic records on file will be discarded and my fees will be fully refunded. i am shocked! They even told me to go on cic website for other ECA providers!

I am not sure what else I can do about this. I have emailed WES and expressed my disappointment and disbelief, hoping that they will give a satisfactory answer and reconsider my evaluation. Meanwhile, I would like to check with the seniors here if anyone has a similar experience and what I can do about this. This credentials is extremely important as it's a 33 point increase from 431 to 464.

Thank you.

fahad04

Nov 22, 2014
Saskatchewan
yuanteo said:
Hi guys,

I am having a problem here and was wondering if anybody has had similar experience.

I am a Chartered Accountant from Singapore and had sent my credentials over to WES for evaluation. I have previously read on the forum that people have sent similar credentials over (India, UK, Australia) for WES evaluation and had gotten them evaluated successfully. I'm not sure of how each country assesses their chartered accountants but in my case, it was a simple process of getting the bachelor's degree from the local university (which is extremely hard to get accepted), completing the 3 years of relevant experience, and then passing a pre-admission course exam. There are no further modules to be taken.

I waited for more than 20 working days and emailed WES, expecting that the evaluation is completed. to my horror, they replied me saying that they have received my documents but they do not accept documents from the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants. The academic records on file will be discarded and my fees will be fully refunded. i am shocked! They even told me to go on cic website for other ECA providers!

I am not sure what else I can do about this. I have emailed WES and expressed my disappointment and disbelief, hoping that they will give a satisfactory answer and reconsider my evaluation. Meanwhile, I would like to check with the seniors here if anyone has a similar experience and what I can do about this. This credentials is extremely important as it's a 33 point increase from 431 to 464.

Thank you.
Check ICAS.

http://www.icascanada.ca/home.aspx

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yuanteo said:
Hi guys,

The ECA is only for educational credentials (college/university degree/diploma) - e.g. your bachelor's degree.

The CA designation is considered a professional designation, there are no points for that. If you can explain why you think there are 33 points for that, perhaps we can clarify.

Currently, CAs are regulated at the provincial level; to gain the right to practice as a CA in Canada, you need to go through the provincial association for your credential assessment and certification (but this has no impact on your EE profile). For example, here is the info for Ontario:
http://www.cpaontario.ca/Admissions/InternationallyTrainedAccountants/1010page1359.aspx

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi jes_ON,

I have previously researched and came across this thread:
canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-for-noc-0111111111121114-1212-t264127.60.html
[i can't post links so have to put the canadavisa.com/ at the front]
where there have been cases of chartered accountant designation being assessed and credited by WES. i guess it's a grey area.. it's not technically a professional degree but its also more than the bachelor's degree. I would think the designation is somewhat a post grad diploma equivalent.

and thank you for the information for CPA Canada :) i have researched it previously too and am planning to settle in BC. hence i am hoping to apply for that after getting the ITA but now.. sighs.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
I read the thread that you refer to. CA and 3 years bachelor degree were evaluated as "4 year Bachelor Equivalent". WES did not evaluate CA as another post graduate certificate for anyone.

Your degree may already be evaluated as "4 year bachelor Equivalent"; hence, CA has no use in your case.

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karenv said:
I read the thread that you refer to. CA and 3 years bachelor degree were evaluated as "4 year Bachelor Equivalent". WES did not evaluate CA as another post graduate certificate for anyone.

Your degree may already be evaluated as "4 year bachelor Equivalent"; hence, CA has no use in your case.
Hi karenv, thanks for your reply! The forum discussion has mixed response, with some people getting their CA assessed separately and hence able to select 'two or more degrees'. I will post in that forum too to see if there's any other response from past users. thanks! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yuanteo said:
I have previously researched and came across this thread:
canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-for-noc-0111111111121114-1212-t264127.60.html
[i can't post links so have to put the canadavisa.com/ at the front]
where there have been cases of chartered accountant designation being assessed and credited by WES. i guess it's a grey area.. it's not technically a professional degree but its also more than the bachelor's degree. I would think the designation is somewhat a post grad diploma equivalent.

and thank you for the information for CPA Canada :) i have researched it previously too and am planning to settle in BC. hence i am hoping to apply for that after getting the ITA but now.. sighs.
First, I recognize how much work goes into getting the CA / CPA designation - I know how significant it is, and I am not questioning the time and effort and learning involved in getting the credential.

However, it is a professional credential, not an educational one, at least in the Canadian system. I'm not sure why WES previously gave those reports, but this whole credentials assessment system is still relatively new, perhaps WES made errors, I don't know. That thread was from a year and half ago, perhaps WES has made changes since then. WES does provide some Professional Credentials services, but those are not the Immigration credentials required by IRCC. The other point is just because WES gave that assessment does not mean that IRCC accepted it.
---

BUT - So, I am not a CA, and I'm just making an educated guess. Just in case in some places it IS considered an educational qualification per the experience of other applicants - those applicants submitted the CA records along with their BA records. Did you do this too? From your previous post, it sounds like you submitted only the CA records.

My 2nd point is - the institutions were "recognized" by WES in those cases. Is it perhaps the case that WES does not recognize your institution? You might want to check that with WES and the other providers.

freakyFries

Dec 3, 2016
yuanteo said:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
This may be seen as a dicey issue. As you pointed out WES does evaluate some accounting qualifications from some countries (UK, Australia, etc.). jes_ON also makes a valid point asking whether the institution is recognised.

From my experience, I know WES evaluates submitted credentials based on how the institutions processes the education and awards related certificates.

The CA from Singapore appears to be based on three factors which, if re-evaluated under the WES CIC process, would be a duplication of points. Consider these factors you mentioned for the CA, Singapore:
1) Bachelor's degree (already awarded points under CIC Education)
2) 3 year's experience (already awarded points under CIC Work Experience)
3) Pre-admission course exam (specific study required to take this exam may not have equivalent number of hours of study for a WES evaluation)

Hope this helps,

cheema007

Apr 16, 2018
Hi,

I have a university degree(B.Com). and i am a qualified chartered accountant. I have practical experience gained in my articleship period of 3 years and no other practical experience. i want to know if my Chartered Accountancy degree and articleship training help me fetch some points in CRS system.

Reactions: mark12345680