+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES Re-evaluation or another ECA?

deepcanada

Aug 7, 2020
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going through the immigration process. We went with WES for ECA and got the evaluation report today. My wife has done 2 years Masters in Statistics with a recognized Indian university - Indian Statistical Institute. However, to our surprise, she has received a Canadian equivalency of postgraduate diploma (one year) from WES.

I've read a few threads and it appears that their is fair bit of subjectivity in WES's opinion on these. Have you guys faced similar instances? We will certainly be appealing for re-evaluation but would be great to know if these are typically successful. If WES normally chooses their discretion, then perhaps it might be worthwhile for us to get another ECA done with other designated organizations, in the interest of time.

Will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going through the immigration process. We went with WES for ECA and got the evaluation report today. My wife has done 2 years Masters in Statistics with a recognized Indian university - Indian Statistical Institute. However, to our surprise, she has received a Canadian equivalency of postgraduate diploma (one year) from WES.

I've read a few threads and it appears that their is fair bit of subjectivity in WES's opinion on these. Have you guys faced similar instances? We will certainly be appealing for re-evaluation but would be great to know if these are typically successful. If WES normally chooses their discretion, then perhaps it might be worthwhile for us to get another ECA done with other designated organizations, in the interest of time.

Will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Under the law section 73(1) of the IRP Regulations defines “Canadian educational credential” and “equivalency assessment” as follows:

“Canadian educational credential”

“Canadian educational credential” means any diploma, certificate or credential, issued on the completion of a Canadian program of study or training at an educational or training institution that is recognized by the provincial authorities responsible for registering, accrediting, supervising and regulating such institutions.

“equivalency assessment”

“equivalency assessment” means a determination, issued by an organization or institution designated under subsection 75(4), that a foreign diploma, certificate or credential is equivalent to a Canadian educational credential and an assessment, by the organization or institution, of the authenticity of the foreign diploma, certificate or credential.

Further, section 75(8) of the IRP Regulations pertains to the evidentiary effect of the equivalency assessment:

Conclusive evidence
(8) For the purposes of paragraph (2)(e), subsection (2.1) and section 78, an equivalency assessment is conclusive evidence that the foreign diplomas, certificates or credentials are equivalent to Canadian educational credentials.

If you feel that the WES ECA report does not accurately state your credentials, then you can appeal. However, appeals are not always successful, and have a very low rate of success.

Along with the appeal, you can also consider getting an ECA from another evaluation agency. Also try searching on the forum about your university and if anyone else experienced the same problem.

deepcanada

Aug 7, 2020
Thank you LegalFalcon!

In your opinion, which should likely be our best alternative - CES/ICAS/IQAS/ICES. It seems that they vary a lot in terms of their processing timings and expected outcomes. I can imagine its very difficult to predict on either of timings/outcomes, still any thoughts?